AuthorTopic: Title of my homepage  (Read 6074 times)

Offline nepheus

• View Profile

Title of my homepage

on: April 07, 2007, 05:31:16 am
Hello everyone! I have already opened a thread for this subject, but itīs really old now, so I am making a new one (if thatīs wrong, please, forgive me)

This is my lastest attempt to make a title for my home page called Vila Supernova (Supernova Village). The idea came from an episode I read in a book called Neuromancer, where the main character enters the matrix (thatīs right, the book the Watchowski brotherīs based their movies) and then flies above a military database which is represented by a big polished black box.

I have made it in a kind of wireframed rendering and I quite like it (even being very simple) but the black polished surface would be my ideal. Thing is: I have no idea of how to represent that texture since itīs just clean, no scratches, cracks or anything. If you could give ideas it would be terrific! Also, if you want to C&C this one, go ahead, I would love to read your opinions.

Good things!

Nepheus

PS: Itīs my second pixel art  ;D.
PPS: My home page: www.vila.supernova.nom.br

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: Title of my homepage

Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 05:32:15 pm
Simple, geometric, not much to really say about it. Looks nice, but doesn't wow me.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 05:40:37 pm
This is my lastest attempt to make a title for my home page called Vila Supernova (Supernova Village). The idea came from an episode I read in a book called Neuromancer, where the main character enters the matrix (thatīs right, the book the Watchowski brotherīs based their movies) and then flies above a military database which is represented by a big polished black box.

The Matrix was based a lot more on Dark City than it was on Neuromancer, though they did lift the title.  I think you have a nice retro look here, but the clash between 1x and 2x elements bugs me some; if you're going to use 2x for your graphics i'd use it on the text as well.  The only other thing that confuses me a little is this is a very small village :P  I'd really like to see a larger image constructed from similar buildings - 5 or 10 city blocks at least!  the font for 'supernova' really rubs me the wrong way too, especially the N, V and A characters.

Offline nepheus

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 02:18:49 pm
Thank you a lot for the C&Cs Zee and Adam!

I really didnīt know that Matrix was based on Dark City (which I havenīt read yet).

About the piece: I am going to change the font, it really looks strange now that you mentioned it, Adam. Also, I was thinking about giving a try at the black polished surface I said in the first post and add some more elements, like a moon made of a sphere or cars based on simple geometric forms. But the general idea was to make it small so it would fit inside small screens (I am at the initial stages of building a console with a friend of mine, ant the demos would bring the logo as the first screen. As the hardware specs are very limited, the resolution would be small).

I am going to work on those ideas and try some others too. Thank you and good things to all.

Nepheus

Offline nepheus

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 05:20:25 am
Updated the font. I kind of like it. Next step: working on the surfaces...

Good things!

Nepheus

yosh64

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 07:14:21 am
hey

I quite like this logo :).

I do like your update, the text seems to go better with the graphic. I actually prefer the wide spacing of "VILA"... anyhows that it from me.

edit
Hmm, I was just thinking that maybe you should keep the "VILA" text from the original, but maybe change the color?

cyas
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 07:18:52 am by yosh64 »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 01:30:34 am
If you're going for a flat, polished look, color it the way you would glass or metal.  If you want a reference to look from, obsidian might work.

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 02:52:57 pm
The new font is much nicer now. Good work.

yosh64

Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 03:26:18 pm
hey

I prefer it something like this :).

cyas

Offline nepheus

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 02:07:10 am
Hi folks! Thank you a lot for your comments and critiques!

@yosh64: I wide spaced the letters but kept the visual style, hope thatīs better.

@Zee: really thanks!

@Sharm: thank you a lot for the suggestion. I looked for it but pretty much all images I found were about rough stones, not polished plain surfaces. Anyways, it still helped a lot!

And now, the update:

I really tried to make it look like a plain and very polished surface, donīt really know if it worked the way I wanted. I like it, but it doesnīt match the image I had in mind  :crazy: Crazy huh?

The highlight in the surface kind of helped making the block more visible. It was way too dark and clean, pretty hard to see. Now I am going to put another one in the middle boxīs surface.

I had an idea to make those borders on the ground to match better the style of the blocks: make them look like energy buses (like in computer printed circuit boards) with some highlights to show the data flowing. What do you think?

I really appreciate the C&C! Keep posting please! Good things!

Nepheus

PS: With the light background of the forums, the image may be a little dificult to read, please visit the page at www.vila.supernova.nom.br to see it better in the context and with a black background  ;).