AuthorTopic: animated girl person  (Read 11711 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: animated girl person

Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 04:11:06 pm
Most of the good crits have been made. I especially didn't like the boob shakes, it seems like such fan service has to occur on any fighter sprite on capcom and snk games, it doesn't mean us amateurs should do the same also.

she doesn't have a face btw, I dunno if anyone noticed : P

That's fine, women are deceptive faceless creatures anyway.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 04:19:14 pm

Little edit. You basically forgot to apply a few laws of physics.

First of all, gravitation. She should be speeding up when falling down.
Next is acceleration. If she jumps she'll be speeding up first, not gaining her initial speed right away.

Also, you're not going to cut anybody at the speed you originally swung that sword.

This is a really great piece btw...

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 04:21:02 pm

I think what Helm is getting at here is... give her RED HAIR, lots of it. ;) (I don't expect anybody to know what I'm talking about)

In my opinion a few frames, especially in the backwards-somersault thing, could be dropped, and compensated with some very subtle motion-blurring. To be redundant, the abrupt stiffness of the sword is what really threw me off. Other than that, great work on the consistency of all the shapes, way ahead of my understanding of anatomy and motion (as in poses, the timing is a bit, you know).

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 04:37:15 pm
Give her pink panties xD.

Anyway its nice :). I like the bounces. xD

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 04:51:20 pm

LOL misoginy never fails to bring me a smile :) (it's part sarcasm, i know, but lol)

Regarding sprite blandness:

If you want to keep the flat shaded, cel-shading style you have, it will be difficult to add more interest. Either that will be by adding more accessories or design elements, such as jewelry, items or tatoos, or detail (face, muscles, bone definition). Technique-wise, you could try changing the palette, applying hue-shifts, increasing the "complimentary-ness" between light and dark shades for colors.

Another way you could add interest would be by adding more colors, for highlights and darker shades, to convey more depth, both for skin and fabric.

Oh btw, saved this animation in my Reference folder ;)

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 05:34:48 pm

Tried to improve the framerate. Hope it helps in some way

edit:
...hmm strange, the framerate looks totally different now, but it works fine as an image on my pc. I suppose you should save the file and then look at it to see my changes.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 05:36:57 pm by dragonrc »

Offline Zomby138

• View Profile
    • reanimatedart

Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 06:01:31 pm
wow, lots of responces.

firestely dragonrc, I have experience similar fame rate issues from program to program quite a bit, for me it runs differentely opened in IE than it does in windows picture viewer or image ready, :\ I think it's becase the canvas is relatively large and stuff, it is most annoying at any rate.

from what I can tell the edits people have done look better, the jumping and stuff seems more realistic, I will try and come to understand this better.

Turbo, you mentioned palette stuff, like complimenteryness in between the highlight and the shading, I'm quite interested in that kind of thing, although I didn't do anything very intereting with this sprite, I've been working on an engine to alter the pallet of a sprite to react to the enviromental lighting of the background, addressing the colours that represent  areas in the light seperately to those that represent areas not in the light. hopefully I'll be able to do some pretty interesting things with that ultimately.  also I have speculars being addressed sperately, potentually, as they can directely refect the colour of the lightsorce to some extent.

thanks a lot for all the responces overal  : )

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 06:09:58 pm
Hello. On the per-frame level, the art suffers from banding. Look at frame 2 of the short animation below. Also since you expressed an interest on how to make this more... pixel-arty, I guess the only way to go from here and on would be to add more detail. However there is a level where it's just tedious work to do this on every frame unless you have little korean kids inbetweening for you in your basement. But for reference, check frame 3 of same animation. You are also using a few colors for very few pixels, therefore inoptimally, but not a huge problem. My last frame uses 16 colors.

Offline KonamiCode

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 07:12:46 pm
I wouldn't write off looking at some of the better books on animation that are out there. Richard William's Animation Survival Kit, The Disney Illusion of Life book, even Preston Blair's books on animation are all very helpful and informative on the actual principles of animation, why they work and are used, and are presented by either the first or second generation of artists who really worked to break down the rules of animation and why things work like they do.  You've got a nice first bit of animation here, but even a simple overlap in the timing of the skirt as she lands could work to really add a lot more character to the animation itself.
"No excuses, get started and finish something, or face the reality that you will live with this frustration for the rest of your life" - Doug TenNapel

Offline Zomby138

• View Profile
    • reanimatedart

Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 07:22:43 pm
hmm, I am finding helm's edit extremely interesting. what exactely do you mean by "banding" ? sorry I'm really not down with the lingo.

just let me stare at the edit a while longer to try and work out what's going on.