AuthorTopic: Self-portrait.  (Read 2978 times)

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Self-portrait.

on: March 28, 2007, 09:40:46 pm
Well, this is my first post here at pixelation, and after seeing some of your work i couldn't help posting to see what you think of mine. havn't been pixeling long, i first found out about it with runescape (ye, i'm aware it sucks) and just making forum signitures. well here it is, please could you CC. i know it's nothing special, just thought i'd have a go at it.

All comments are appreciated, thanks  :y:

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: Self-portrait.

Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 10:12:26 pm
the bright green outline on the hair, is painful. The pallete is interesting, but I think the saturation is a little to high. The background is, to be frank ugly. I would also up the contrast.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 12:22:03 am
Hey Rob,

I really like the angle you chose (more interesting than the usual forward facing mirrored look), the shading and the proportions are pretty good. Althought I would agree with Malor on all of his points about saturation and contrast. The bright green hair isn't all bad if you were going for it.

One more thing you should watch for is how AA is done. The purpose of AA is usually to blend the outline into an adjacent color, so picking colors between the two are crucial. For instance in this work you need to go between the purple outline and the tan background.

Hope you didn't mind a minor edit on the left (our left) side of the face outline:

I've added two new colors but having a slightly larger palette at this point won't hurt too much. Also if you wanted you could work the colors into the background or shading perhaps.

Excellent start!

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 04:39:48 am

I think you may have messed up a bit while indexing your palette; you show 6 colors, but your color count is more than 30.  You may want to look into this further.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 11:20:36 pm
i count 7 shades of purple...
untz untz untz?