AuthorTopic: NES mockup - new screen  (Read 27858 times)

Offline Anders_A

• View Profile

Re: NES mockup - new screen

Reply #70 on: March 31, 2007, 11:12:01 pm
Anders: well not really the TV cuts it off. The NTSC NES variants (US and JAP) are only 224 high because of the different cycles, so basically they mask them. And as I said before, I don't give a flying fuck here about the 16x16 thing at all.

I've looked into this some now (talking to people doing nes development that actually owns an ntsc nes and tv) and no, the nes does not cut anything off, but the tv set doesn't display about 12-16 lines in the top of the frame and about 2 lines in the bottom. A newer tv might display those (which will make some nes games look weird since they might have garbage in the top of the frame). And I imagine some games turn off rendering during vblank and then turn it on after those top lines to get some extra time in which gfx-ram can be written. (It can only be written to during vblank unless rendering is turned off)

The key here is that I was wrong about the palette grid not being aligned if you use 256x224. It will be since almost all rows are cut off at the top.

I love those mockups btw. Damn, I've been wanting to make a demoscene like demo for the nes for some time now. If I could draw stuff as good as that it would be done long ago. :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 11:31:53 pm by Anders_A »

yosh64

Reply #71 on: April 05, 2007, 09:32:44 am
hey

I just wanted to say that I really like the mood of these, and your color choice, exceptional work ^_^.

I really like the underground and castle mockups :). Hmm, I do feel something is missing from the desert mockup? not quite sure... maybe bones of a goat? or something withered away to emphasize the heat? or maybe it's the bareness of the brown to the right, under the cliff.

I look forward to the complete underwater mockup :).

cya
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:40:21 am by yosh64 »

Offline Icedemon

• View Profile
    • Viceroy Studios

Reply #72 on: April 05, 2007, 04:16:49 pm
yea but it says expect a demo soon, and i thought you weren't making it into a game...?  :huh: either way, its awesome stuff!!
A Viceroy forerunner...

Viceroy studios is a community based freeware gaming enterprise dedicated to making freeware games. Basically, we make free games, and everyone helps out.
 Check the link:  www.freewebs.com/viceroystudios  word.