AuthorTopic: [WIP] Tattoo design...  (Read 3000 times)

Offline NikkiPink

• View Profile

[WIP] Tattoo design...

on: March 25, 2007, 04:50:51 am
So I am going to be getting my sleeve done in the next few months, because I mean, what else is a rock star to do? So yeah, I decided to make the concept on the computer before I draw it all out, just to make something solid, and because I love pixel art. I am going to be posting the progress in stages, as there are many themes to the sleeve, but this is the first post. For the start, there is like, machine parts at the top. I borrowed the palette from Fool on his most recent rockin mech piece, because I thought it looked good with the skin tone. So yeah, I also did a lot of dithering work on it, which is something I don't frequently do, so any c+c is appreciated.  :blind:

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Re: [WIP] Tattoo design...

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 05:41:40 am
Haha, what a neat idea.

I'm liking where the design is going, but it's kinda hard to critique the overall design till you have more, the general arm shape is a bit bumpy and rough looking, but I expect you'll be cleaning that up as you go.

This would be a neat challenge idea.  The pixel tattoo parlour!  :crazy:

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 08:55:24 am
So this is what happens when you not even read the threadtitle:
I really like the idea and the design you've started, and the palette is nice too, still I think you could do much better. At the moment it looks like a flat texture mapped on a human 3d-model. I think this comes through the position of the lightsource. Try to avoid having the lightsource near the viewer, as your two big round parts look a bit pillow shaded, which is the enemy of depth ;)

So now that I know thats supposed to be a tattoo, I would say you've perfectly achieved youre goal :D
maybe I would still pick a higher lightsource, but yeah thats your decision

Offline Hedgehog

• AVOCADOMG
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 09:05:15 am
That's gonna be one awesome tat!
Maybe over the biceps you could do a muscle design, showing all the muscle fibres. Never seen that done before... Just a suggestion ;D
Unless you want it to look mechanical the whole way.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:53:08 pm by Hedgehog »
Life's a garden. Dig it.

Offline NikkiPink

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 02:35:50 pm
Thanks for all the replies! I was thinking that this could actually be a good multi-person colab, like have 5 sections on the arm, and have on person do each section at a time... well, if someone wants to start something like that, they have my consent, as long as I can be in on it :P So yeah, Fry, I will be messing with the shape as I go along, thanks for pointing that out. philipptr, We've all been there, don't sweat it. Hedgehog, I was thinking about doing a portion like that, but you only have so much arm, you know? And I have so many ideas, I don't even know if I can fit it all  :D I hope so, however. I will probably post the next update today.