AuthorTopic: [WIP] variouse shoot em up stuff... NOW WITH MORE GOO!  (Read 9512 times)

Offline Squirrelsquid

• Nuts!?
    • View Profile
currently creating quite a bit for a vertical shoot em up... putting all content in one topic rather than many...

some nebula for the space-themed stages; the upper part needs some work... the lower nebula is pretty much finished, I guess

some background stuff for the asteroid-belt level... still needs more large platforms and some shoot-able foreground asteroids.

current player ship with all animations... I'll probably add more animations, as the ship should look "alive".

planetary jungle stage... pretty early in development... currently just some dirt texture; really need to work on it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 01:37:45 pm by Squirrelsquid »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] variouse shoot em up stuff

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 09:40:15 am
I love that player ship. Reminds me of some form of vicious hound, snapping at a threat.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Squirrelsquid

• Nuts!?
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 10:08:06 am
I love that player ship. Reminds me of some form of vicious hound, snapping at a threat.

you guessed that right :) it's codename is Cerberus and is fueled by one of the games alien-lifeform, called omnivore... here's a so called "alpha-omnivore" ... it could be considered the engine and the soul of the ship ( actualy it's the essence of all enemies in the game, but well... )

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 12:02:34 pm
I've told you this countless times but...this is greaaaaat :D
I especially love your colors and I can't wait to see the jungle ^^

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 01:21:37 pm
Wow, really cool. That snappy and poppy ship makes me want to play that game already.
With just that little bit of info about the ship and the setting of the whole thing makes it sound quite interesting.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 02:41:42 pm
I deleted three one-liners from this thread. One-liners are agressively moderated. If you don't have anything to critique, don't post. Thank you.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 03:15:59 pm
Hey man great stuff - the tilt/bank animations for the ship look a little phoned-in, they make the ship look thin and flimsy to me, but its shaded to look round and thicker, these things kind of go against each other.  I know that tilt/bank animations are a huge pain in the ass, but hey at least your ship is mirrored ;)  Speaking of, if you can upgrade or damage your ship it might be cool to see some assymetric sort of omnivore goo coming out here and there.  The rest of the animations and your starfield background look really solid, nice job!

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 04:01:29 pm
Opps, didnt mean to break a rule...But I do have a critique now..
The Ship confuses me, it looks awesome, but kind of confusing. I think first of all I should say, I do not know which way the game procedes, I would assume from bottom to top, but it could be top to bottom. Now, after saying this, it is difficult to determine what is the front, and what is the back of the ship. There is what appears to be a cannon on what to me would be the back, and a huge claw in the front. Either enemies come form the back, or the cannon thing i not a cannon at all. Now, I would suggest making the cannon inside of the claw thing..unless that ruins the entire idea of the ship...Anyways, it still looks awesome, and I still love the background. :D

EDIT_ oh dear, I fear my critique above makes no sense at all :-[, but I did notice that one of the asteroids resmelbes a potatoe, not rock. SO, I made a quick edit...I changed the shape a tad, and added more rocky texture....all of the asteroids seem to lack rocky texture now that I mention it..anyways, a quick attempt to make it more..rocky

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 04:21:09 pm by Malor »
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Squirrelsquid

• Nuts!?
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 04:54:31 pm

finished I guess...

@ AdamAtomic:
thanks for pointing that out, I'm not too fond of it either... I'm just not really a good animator... I feel more comfortable with background stuff. I know the tilting lacks something, but I don't know how to fix it :/

@ Malor: the "cannon" ain't a cannon, as you guessed; it's the "exhaust-flame thing". ;)
I see your point about the rockiness... though I think that your edit is a bit too rough. most images of asteroids I've seen ( like this one http://www.solstation.com/stars/eros3.jpg ) seem to be rather round/"potatoeish" in shape; so I tried to mimic that.
Though I might just do what you did, for the foreground asteroids.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 04:56:08 pm
Most asteroids, at least in photos, are remarkably smooth, I really like your version of them squirrelsquid i think they're right on - exaggerated for detail but not overboard.  I also think that the direction of the ship is immediately obvious, and especially in-game there will be ZERO confusion on that matter.  Keep it up, I can't wait to see more of this stuff!