AuthorTopic: WIP Mini With Trivium Sword  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Mini

• Shiny O.o
    • View Profile

WIP Mini With Trivium Sword

on: March 17, 2007, 04:29:43 am

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7324/minionhilltriviumez5.png
a WIP of My PC standing on a rock stump holding the Trivium sword into the moonlight
C+C please on the lines before i start doing the shading =)
NOTE: The stars wont be that shape more like balls of gas.
We Are The Deceived!
Lost In The Foreseen!

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: WIP Mini With Trivium Sword

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 05:39:50 am
Why are the stars black? Why is that rock bright yellow? Why is the grass so bright at the night time?

Pretty much, I think you should work on the colors more. Everything should have a greyish blue tint at night, if the moon is the only lightsource (I think).
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Mini

• Shiny O.o
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 05:45:43 am
Why are the stars black? Why is that rock bright yellow? Why is the grass so bright at the night time?

Pretty much, I think you should work on the colors more. Everything should have a greyish blue tint at night, if the moon is the only lightsource (I think).

1. i said those aren't the stars i'm using
2. Rock is coloured like that coz i was bored
3. its not even started to be coloured yet
4. Those aren't the colours im using there just default colours from paint that i used to figure out where everything was going
5. i think you should read the whole post first before posting :/

Oh and i'm not trying to sound mean here
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 05:47:54 am by Mini »
We Are The Deceived!
Lost In The Foreseen!

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 05:57:11 am
take a look at nature pictures made by the pros
is it a cliff? or near water.  try to use a reference like this http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18618/18618-h/images/fig_084.jpg

yeah.. I'm bad at helping people.

Offline Mini

• Shiny O.o
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 06:07:28 am
take a look at nature pictures made by the pros
is it a cliff? or near water.  try to use a reference like this http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18618/18618-h/images/fig_084.jpg

yeah.. I'm bad at helping people.

not really a cliff more like a big random rock laying diagonally :/ yiur not that bad ill prob will use a red but the one you gave has a broken link :/
We Are The Deceived!
Lost In The Foreseen!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 06:14:33 am
Before you start colouring, you need a lot more detail. I usually get my landscapes down in black and white, which seems easier.

Something like that works best imo...

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 07:17:34 am
Sorry I didn't read all your post. Thought I did but... Meh. However, I don't think the fact that you haven't started shading yet is a very good excuse for bad colors.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 03:28:40 pm
Sorry I didn't read all your post. Thought I did but... Meh. However, I don't think the fact that you haven't started shading yet is a very good excuse for bad colors.

Agreed 100%.  If you are just at the composition/basic palette stage, why not use colors that will be similar to the ones you actually intend to use?  Also, since the stars are just copy-pasted anyways, at this early stage why not at the very least make them a brighter color?  The lineart makes it very hard to get a sense of perspective or scale - the detail on the sword makes it seem quite large, but the ambiguous features of the character and the lack of detail on the rock, combined with the very large grassy details drawn onto the ground make it confusing for the viewer.  The water's edge is counter-intuitive as well - water takes whatever form it can; that ridged, lumpy edge makes it seem like the shore has a series of pointy...things...coming out of it.  The main character's expression is very blah, some simple tweaks to his eyes could make him seem a lot more excited or determined to suit the scene.  The character's right hand and right foot should probably both be mainly in shadow from this angle, and more of his body should be in shadow if the moon is located where it is, and is the only light source.  I think you're on the right path by nailing down these basic elements before proceeding with any heavy pixeled detail; the basics of this piece sitll need a lot of work before it will be worth adding additional details.

Offline Pownatized

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 04:48:51 pm

1. i said those aren't the stars i'm using
2. Rock is coloured like that coz i was bored
3. its not even started to be coloured yet
4. Those aren't the colours im using there just default colours from paint that i used to figure out where everything was going
5. i think you should read the whole post first before posting :/

Oh and i'm not trying to sound mean here

But you are soudning arrogant. You NEVER said those weren't the colors you were using. Don't get mad at people for critiquing the flaws in your work when you haven't made it clear that you plan to change those parts.

As for my advice... you need more detail, if that's all the linework your doing.

Offline Mini

• Shiny O.o
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 11:23:19 pm
Pownatized i thought i did say it my bad sorry Sherman Gill for getting mad :/
Gil i'm ding what you said right now changing it all into black and white and lastly Adam Atomic thanks for your help ill fix those problems now

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7683/minionhilltriviumsf9.png
that any better? ???

I think i might leave this peice for awhile because AdamAtomic told me to leave it for awhile as there are a lot of Artistic Principles and i dont know much of them fully yet :/
so theres no need to post here anymore.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 06:35:41 am by Mini »
We Are The Deceived!
Lost In The Foreseen!