AuthorTopic: Rainy Pathway  (Read 10112 times)

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Re: Rainy Pathway

Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 07:18:40 pm
I like what you did with the water, it gives a better indication of the height of the cobblestone where it meets.  It was looking a little too busy and random with my edit.  It also suits the grass style more.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 07:22:37 pm
Fry: Thanks!

JJ Naas: That's originally what I had thought, when I tried it it got rather busy rather quickly. Which is how I came to the conclusion that less is more. Given the small space that the water takes up you can't really give off the impression of clouds reflected upon it. Well, you could but, it'd take a fair amount of colors with shades very close to the water's base colors. Else it wouldn't be subtle enough. Given this piece's very nice and complete feeling palette more colors would only hurt it.

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 07:29:43 pm
Thanks so much for the edits, Fry and Doppleganger... I did want to make the stones look wet, but I had no idea how to do it... the edits look great!

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 02:34:38 am
>>
minez:

This is my measly attempt to use a nighttime, shady-type scene. Sure things are a little darker, but that doesn't mean there isn't some shine coming through, what with the moon and water. I'll admit, in my edit I added too much noise and activity in what seems to be a puddle of water, where that much ripples wouldn't make sense. You can dismiss that fact, or just pretend that after the rain fell, the crickets, and other night crawlers are hopping about furiously in the puddles, causing the ripples. I've seen it before, but I suppose it wouldn't really make sense in this pic. You can just mark that off as too much "fluff," in my opinion. It also wouldn't hurt to detail the bushes/trees/grass(I still don't know what it is) a little more. They are a little too plain in my opinion, and could use some lovin'.
   Your piece is pretty good, however, the depth part is kind of a valid statement. You should take note of Doppleganger, and Fry's edits as they are very helpful in that department. By "pillowshading," I believe AdamAtomic is mentioning the fact that you are using 1 highlight around the rim of each cobble stone. This is not necessary, in my opinion, and should be scrapped, to give it some better form of detail, and realism. Sure, you're probably not considering realism a factor, but moreover, a cartoony style. However, texture is still important none the less. I hope to see an update in the future!...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 02:55:15 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 03:19:16 am
Mmmmh...Those cobbles look like shingles, The. The grass is real cool, though. I think just a bit of toning down around the edges would do it well.

As for the original piece, I haven't much to say that hasn't already been said. I think Doppleganger+Fry's edit combo was the best, but through the edits the whole thing seemed to be getting darker, which .B.O.B remedied. I think a more bluish hue would make it look like nughttime. Unless it's just cloudy, in which case I'd say you were on the right track in your very first one in terms of brightness.

Offline Pownatized

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007, 04:25:43 am
I would add more shine to the rocks, as if they were wet. Also, try adding a shine effect on little spots of the grass to replicate water droplets?

Offline Squirrelsquid

• Nuts!?
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 17, 2007, 07:00:07 am
kinda reminds me of the SNES zelda...
I'd say doppleganger's/fry's edit show pretty well, how it would look best. though it might be a bit too dark in comparison to your initial shading.
I also think, that your 2. attempt has a bit too much depth to it, for floor/ground. A similar pattern would be nice a rocky wall of some sort, but for cobble floor it's a bit overshaded IMO.