AuthorTopic: RPG tileset mock-up  (Read 6390 times)

Offline setz

  • 0010
  • *
  • Posts: 220
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • splixel

Re: RPG tileset mock-up

Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 03:48:49 pm
I did abit of an edit myself. The grass didn't really seem that grassy , and the bush didn't seem too bushy (to be honest they looked like green blobs), I re-did the sand as well, mine isn't really better, but yours didn't feel too sandy. You need alot more variation than one tile, I think thats what hurt it the most. The colors were hell, too. The greenery hanging off the tree seemed to bright to be at the bottom, and the trunks bothered me.

Offline Doppleganger

  • 0010
  • *
  • Posts: 284
  • Karma: +2/-0
  • Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: RPG tileset mock-up

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 04:39:08 pm
Apparently, this is a Tsugumo redeux funfest! I too did an edit after seeing Helm's post. I'll agree with him indefinitely on his comments.

As someone who started off pixeling by reading your tutorials and as someone who saw your mage knight dump and was in awe at your skills I was a bit surprised to see that this was done by you. I know how making pixel art as a profession affects how you do it professionally and your tileset reflects that. The difference in my tilesets I do professionally versus the ones I do as a hobby are quite evident. When somebody is paying you 20+ dollars an hour to do something you tend to want to get it done quickly and efficiently rather than beautifully and timey. Fortunately for me I am impatient and am usually able to find a balance between time and beauty. With tilesets that is. I've done countless amounts of them and they're the reason I was able to make it as a freelancer for the past year and a half. Once again, your tutorials played a part in my skills.

The main problems I noticed with the tileset were; lack of unity, sketchy/unreadable objects, and glaring dirt and grass tiles.

I did enjoy the fall version best so I took a stab at redoing that one. The first thing I did was redo the dirt/sand tile. It tiled rather poorly and had too much contrast for the huge expanse it covered. As Helm said, it's better to go with several variations, which is something I normally do. If I'm doing 16x16 tiles I'll usually make one 32x32 tile for tiles that cover large areas. In tradition of old school RPGs and in fairness to you I went with one tile though. Whether or not it was meant to be sand I couldn't very well tell so I went with more dirt like colors.

Next up was the bush. It looked like a grainy square shaped blob to me. I'm not sure how many colors were in it but it felt like too many for it's size. I reduced it down to 5 and focused on details that stood out rather than numerous details. Which I feel is where the granularity came from most likely.

The grass, I feel, suffered most by the choice of colors. While it's cool to hue shift and all that jazz, grass usually isn't the place to do it. The blue stood out too much against the greens and overpowered the whole thing. Originally I tried to recreate your texture in a less contrasty way but, it's just not my style so I went with my traditional method of drawing in blades with the darkest color, thinning them out with the midrange color and then use highlights to break up any tiling. It's an enduring process that usually has me going back and forth between steps but it works fairly well every time. I don't have much else to say on this other than most of the dirt/sand comments apply here.

Finally, there is the tree. Basically your "shortcut" butchered any hopes the tree may have had. It certainly works best in the fall colors but the other color sets create an undistinguishable mass. The lighting, while making sense is too sporadic to lead the eyes to believe that it's where it's supposed to be. The vines blend in too much to be seen as vines and look more like sketchy protrusions. I did like the trunk and I would've left it except I wanted to maintain the sense of style I had "created" up to this point. There's not much to say as to what I did. I basically took the silhouette of the tree and took the time to shade the whole thing rather than stamping it. I have no doubt that this is something you could achieve had you took the time to do so.

The whole image uses 20 colors, as opposed to 38 was it? I managed to get rather low because I shared the paltette between things. I know that's usually a bad thing when making tilesets or any other game art because you can't easily change a certain aspect if you need to but, since it's for hobby reasons and you have ultimate control, there is more lenience. I tried to maintain your sense of saturation and desaturation while creating more fall like colors that worked together. I feel that it turned out fairly well.

I think that pretty much covers everything I wanted to cover. I usually don't go so indepth with critiques but I felt that this was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity and as someone who looks up to you in some way shape or form, it'd nice to hear your thoughts on my thoughts. Haha... K enough of that.



Offline Helm

  • Moderator
  • 0110
  • *
  • Posts: 5159
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: RPG tileset mock-up

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 01:05:05 am
Excellent critique, excellent edit, Doppleganger. I am glad to have read it.