AuthorTopic: [Wip] Haunted Girl  (Read 10542 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [Wip] Haunted Girl

Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 12:56:22 am

minor neck edit and experimental colors just for a different spin. I really like this.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 04:33:23 am
hair is rather sculpted even for wet hair, it reminds me of a figurine.  I'd try rendering more strands and not binding them all into such rigid clumps.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 11:29:46 am
Why thank you! Helm, I like the warmer tints on that palette edit, not so sure about the opposite hue highlights. I'll try to figure out something along those lines.
Adarias, about the hair, i'll get on it. It's supposed to be oily and therefore clumped, but i'll de-clump it a bit, sure could use some declumpment.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: new palette. Which do you like best?
-- or --
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 12:02:27 pm by Turbo »

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 05:01:30 pm
The new palette is much cooler, IMO.

I think the problem with the hair is that it's, as Adarias said, quite sculpted. Since it is so sculpted to the skull, the areas in back make it look like she's got an irregularly shaped skull. It protrudes out far too much. I think it even goes so far as to ruin the rest of the perspective. Either add more body to the hair to match what you have in the back or bring in the hair in back a bit. More shaped to the skull, y'know.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 05:23:07 pm
it looked like to me that the shape of the skull was intended to fit with the slightly stretched facial features. i actually dont see anything unappealing about the hair at all.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 06:10:08 pm
I second Ryumaru's comment. Looks like she's just risen out of a swamp or something.
I don't like the random dithering/broken lines in the hair though. Doesn't suit it at all.
I really liked the amount of green Helm put into the lightest skin tone, as well as the more saturated second lightest skin tone, and I think you should play around with that.

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 07:13:52 pm
At the moment, the lips look like they would be viewed from a straight view. I think this image is pretty close to the angle you're doing:

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 07:53:15 pm

First picture is meant to address the proportion critiques: i think i have the skull proportions correct. I honestly can't really see any deformation or irregularities.
The hair dithering is how i'm able to do the several shades of hair without adding further colors, can't get that look without doing it. I don't think it's very noticeable, at least not on my screen at 1x.
The second and third images refer to Khris' comment. That pose is close, but mine is not as tilted up, eye level is at ours, with a slight chin tilt upwards. More upper lip is visible from your reference at that angle, and the model has bigger lips. I was going for smaller tight lips, while still young girlish ones.

As for the green for the highlight, i think it reduces the whole contrast, and changes the lightsource completely, losing the harsh pale lighting tone i wanted. As for the second tone, i tried some warmer colors but it needs to be at a somewhat inbetween color between the brightest highlight and the next warmer color, otherwise it doesn't look as good, as whole. So it's at a yellow-peach.

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 04:21:53 am
Sorry I hadn't just made this edit when I originally posted:

The lips in yours looked more like they were coming from someone facing the viewer. They seemed a bit long and angular along with having a few oddities in shape, which I was hoping you would see, regardless of the slight difference in pose in the reference image. I also edited the (her) left side of the face that we can see. Seemed a bit too straight to me.

My edit's not perfect, but hopefully this will help you understand what I was talking about with the lips.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 06:05:56 am
That edit certainly makes things less weird. I don't know if that's good or bad though.

To be honest, I think that straighter face kind of creeped me out. I don't know if that's good or bad either though.

I guess they both have their charm. I must say that she looks far less haunted in the edit.