AuthorTopic: [Help] Mountain Scene  (Read 14829 times)

Offline Generic

• View Profile

Re: [Help] Mountain Scene

Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 10:55:47 pm
Decided to go back to this today while I had a bit of freetime and try and change the feel of it a bit. I plan to add some subtle lightbeams shining through the clouds. I still haven't fixed the grass or added flora to the cliff's edge. Focusing on the clouds at the moment.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 03:26:44 am
The clouds look pretty good and stormy. Well done. I think the perspective on the top of the cliff in the foreground is off, unless you're deliberately doing that (like its an rpg type thing).
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Generic

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 07:04:03 pm
Actually I was planning to add a small isometric man standing on top the cliff looking over the horizon. However, the more I look at the cliff, the less I like it. It seems to just pop in the picture out on nowhere.

Offline Generic

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 08:27:28 am
Sorry for the double post again, I just wanted to post the update before I go to bed. Here is what I wanted to try out. I changed up the top of the cliff a bit to make it less bare. I also added the man I was talking about earlier. I don't want him to stick out much and be the main focus of the picture. Incase anyone is wondering, the guy is supposed to be facing toward the mountains.

yosh64

Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 10:04:09 am
hey

I think the background hills need to be taken down a shade or so, they don't look far enough away? Hmm, but maybe you should wait to see what others have to say about this. Meanwhile I might try and edit for this...

edit
, and ->
Well I've done a quick/messy edit for you... well this is the first time I've ever done anything like this, so maybe others can give their thoughts on my advise.

Okay, my first concern was the perception of depth... the things in the distance didn't look like they were in the distance. The other thing was the lighting... looking at the rocks and highlights of the clouds, I think the light comes from the top left, and towards us. So I done some major editing of the closer background mountain, I think our right side should be darker (as how is the same amount of light meant to get to it, as seen in yours???), and to give greater depth I think it should get darker the lower down the mountain you go. Ohh yea, I also thought the closer background mountain looked a bit out of perspective also, which I tried altering a tad.

Firstly I tried to take it down a shade, to make it look futher in the distance, I did the same for the very far background mountains. I also edited the highlights of the clouds, as it looked really odd to me how the top and bottom of the clouds were highlighted (hope this makes sense), so I went over and only kept the highlights of the top of each bit of cloud.

I also done some other minor things here and there. But yea, my tip is to focus on the light, and let that define the mountain... rather than trying to use some special mountain pixel techniques or whatever. Hmm, well I'm not sure you were really doing this, but hopefully you get the idea.

Anyhows I hope this helps :).

and another...
->
Done another edit to try and make the rocks look more natural and such, and tried to define the person better. The flag seemed to defy gravity, hehe. Think I might be done with my edits now :), I do hope you can learn some things from these.

cyas
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:05:08 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Generic

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 03:34:32 pm
I wanted to come back to this picture and start working on it again. So once again, critique is welcome.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 10:28:08 pm

Made a small edit on the cliffs. You're relying too much on outlines to define shapes. In such a small area they actually have the opposite affect, cluttering the image and making the shapes unclear. In my edit I tried to remove the outlines and define lighting and shape through colour only. I hope this helps.

Edit: image was down.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 10:29:47 pm by Akira »
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 01:22:19 am
The details on the mountain appear to be small protruding details that quickly return to a normal flat plane. Yosh's edit fixes this a bit I think. The grooves and lumps and stuff are more big/broad/3dimensional then what you seem to have.

I don't know if I explained that clearly. Hopefully so. :y:

Also, focal point in the center of the screen. Typically that's a design no-no.

I like the mood of this. Keep it up. :)

Nice edit Akira. :y:

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 02:51:23 pm
I would say that the contrast is too high between the mid-tone and the darker greens on the mountain detail, this is making the mountain looked more sharp than I think is necessary. I would recommend making your darker colors lighter, just to smoothen things out.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 09, 2007, 04:53:33 pm
Man needs to stand out some more, right now he blends in pretty well with the background.