AuthorTopic: Proposed word filter  (Read 10267 times)

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Re: Proposed word filter

Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 10:16:30 pm
I would like to propose a new word filter - any posts including the word "runescape" are deleted and the user is sent a warning for posting eyeball-raping "pixel art"...

bad form.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 06:42:10 pm
I've been trying to understand why all the bad runescape art. Is it because they sell sigs to each other for 'runescape money', so there's some sort of faux-economy that calls for such. But then why pixel art sigs and not photoshops?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 07:20:18 pm
I've been trying to understand why all the bad runescape art. Is it because they sell sigs to each other for 'runescape money', so there's some sort of faux-economy that calls for such. But then why pixel art sigs and not photoshops?

Yes!  Exactly - why pixel art?  It's displayed at 1x, and there is no real retro theme that I can detect, at least in the stuff that ends up here.  So i mean, stylewise, there does not seem to be any advantage over photoshop...my guess is a lot of the sigs are probably made up of other people's line art, and the thought is that pixel art is kind of like a coloring book.  You just hit "fill area" and then you have your colors and ta-da you're done?  I don't see any other real advantage to the approach given the subject matter and general style.

also, my apologies if my previous comment overstepped some boundary, but I did think very long and hard about every piece of runescape art that has ever been posted here (that i am aware of) and was not able to find any convincing contradictions.  This is no claim to my own quality of work or professionalism (and in fact probably reflects poorly on the latter), just a strong trend with no apparent counter-evidence.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 07:21:08 pm
But then why pixel art sigs and not photoshops?

My first guess would be because absolutely everyone has a similar program to MSPaint, whereas those with Photoshop would be lacking. People who are skilled with Photoshop would probably have better places to show off their skills, also.  :y:

[Written before AA's reply]  :mean:

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 08:47:41 pm
All wrong.  Pixel-art makes you cool.  Anyone can do photoshop, it takes pro skillz to be abl to place dots in the correct way. 

Runescape is for losers.  making a pixel-art sig for their clan buddies or wateva they are gives them that little bit of hope that they might actually be cool one day.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 08:49:23 pm
I don't think Runescape is for losers, because I haven't tried it. Terley here is from a runescape background, also Godslayer I think. Perhaps they can fill us in from that point of view?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 08:59:54 pm
oh i get it now, i saw the thread after the corrections had been made, so the original post got corrected too.  d'oh!

here's what i dont get.  imageshack.us provides a direct link to images with every upload free of junk tags.  thats what I [ ctrl + a - c - v ] whenever i use it...
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 12:23:22 am
Not everyone is as observant as you Adarias :P
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.