AuthorTopic: [wip] First Post Ever: little musket guy  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Fluke-xp

• View Profile

[wip] First Post Ever: little musket guy

on: March 06, 2007, 03:06:28 am
I found this awesome little community a while ago and have been lurking and trying to make pixel art every since.  You're all kick ass!

Not much to this little guy, but I'd love some tips on how to refine him.

thanks!

- Fluke

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Re: [wip] First Post Ever: little musket guy

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 03:10:10 am
It looks as though your little musket friend is about to fall backwards due to the large amount of equipment on his back  :lol:  ;)

Offline Fluke-xp

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 03:15:27 am
crap, you're right Alucard!

Look at that, 4 minutes after my first post and I already got something to fix.

Thanks!  ;D

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 03:42:04 am
agreed but nice job anyway.  also, he doesnt look like he has the back of his head anymore.

Offline Fluke-xp

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 03:43:41 am
don't know if this is an improvement or not,  but I've shifted his weight forward and gave him some more skull.

I realize now his arms are kinda stubby too. 
hmm...

Thanks Joseph!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 03:55:26 am by Fluke-xp »

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 03:53:56 am
I dunno, I like it alot. :) It's looking good. But I would maybe change the colors on the face. Go for a more pinkish tinge, and a redish shade for the nose. :]

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 05:23:35 am
Your image actually has 17 colors, and I think you have some serious contrast problems.  Your basic guy is actually really fun and cute, you just need to push him a bit.  I did an edit to show some changes that I would make:

Mine has 16 colors.  You had one color that I think was just a mistake - a darker shade on the backpack that was only in one place.  However you had another color that only existed on 4 pixels in the entire picture.  You had a lot of tones that were very close to each other too.  I edited your image down to 14 colors and then added a skintone and an extra highlight tone for the backpack, and generally just pushed the contrast.  I thickened his back leg, and added 1 pixel to the heel.  I made some edits to the hat but i have no idea whats  going on there - the hat's structure is not as easily readable as the other parts of the character, I would give that a second pass.  I don't really mind the stubby arms on this character, but they could probably use a little attention i guess.  Nice stuff, just go those extra few yards to get him all the way there!

Just remembered - one thing that might help is painting your sprites on a medium gray background, rather than solid white or solid black.  That should help you get the contrast better!

EDIT - AND I just realized I edited your first pic, instead of your updated one.  Sorry!  Most of my edits still apply but I did not mean to ignore or throw away the changes you made already, you are headed in the right direction!

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 11:31:51 am
Reminds me of North and South (amiga game). Looks cute. Are the rifles really that long back then?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Fluke-xp

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 11:55:46 am
wow, thanks for such a great crit Adam,  I have no instinct for color, so this helps.  Great edit.

And working on a medium grey background is a good idea.  Thanks!