AuthorTopic: Gallery of the Mind ~ Microer Looking To Better His Craft  (Read 10298 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Gallery of the Mind ~ Microer Looking To Better His Craft

Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 12:55:22 am
hue shift is a shift in hue.. pretty simple to understand, but not as simple to master.

the top one has no hue shift, while the bottom shows a shift in the hue(in this case green to blue).

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 01:11:11 am
Actually, that's exactly what hue shifting means. Giving blue to the shadows and yellow to the highlights... I would know, since I coined the term at some point in the past...

You coined the term hue shifting:huh:  Now, that article is talking about a slightly different effect of course, but it is still covering shifts in hue...and its from 1874.

HOWEVER.  Regardless of that, "hue shifting" does not mean "blue to the shadows and yellow to the highlights."  It CAN mean that, but generally speaking, it means that the hue, or the base color or shade (e.g. "Yellow") does not remain the only color in your ramp.  For example, you can add red or green to your darker colors and achieve a successful hue shift as well.

EDIT - Alex's example is perfect, green to blue is ONE type of hue shift, not THE type of hue shift!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:18:10 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 09:52:38 am
I coined the exact frase "hue shift" as it is used on pixelation, not the technique or even the term in general. A couple of years ago there was a thread on colour theory and everybody was using a different long term, and I called it "hue shift" in one post. It kinda stuck and now everyone here seems to use it :lol:

I agree that it can mean a shift towards another colour too, but in general, if people on pixelation ask you to hue shift your piece, they mean adding blue to the shadows, not gradienting your piece... ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 11:49:54 am
Uh, I cannot say Gil is responsible for that term, though I was around I don't remember this at all. I don't think it's a term one invents, it's a very old artistic practise. Let's not go overboard with the bragging rights here.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 02:23:15 pm
Ah, come on, give me at least some bragging rights, it's all I have :P
Selout existed since Da Vinci, yet we all say Tsu coined it...

Respect ma authoritah!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 06:49:21 pm
I understand the desire to be a visible contributor to pixel art, we've all tried a bit of it, be it selout, ditaac, interlace dithering, but these things are genuine pixel-related phenomenae. Your 'hue shifting' isn't. And Tsu didn't coin sel-out, that other devil-worshiper, Pkmays did. I'm sorry, you don't get any bragging rights for hue shifting, at least not from me. If you want to be remembered for something positive, why don't you pop around more than once every 3 years and give honest, valuable critique to people? I'm sure that'll do you more karmic good than 'I invented hue shifting!' ever will.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 12:35:50 am
I don't pop in every three years. If you would check my record you would see I have done more than my fair share for this community and I have never been gone for more than a few months (because I was working too long hours for any internet access). I don't like your tone here. :mean: We'll stop this before it gets to a discussion though. I'm a laid back person and last thing I'd want is an argument...

Offline Xenio

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 12:47:52 am
Thanks guys. Sorry I haven't been around much but something will come soon... Just have to think of what...

Offline Xenio

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 02:47:44 pm
Here's a new piece I did. I realize the head needs work but I kind of like how the body looks.

I got the outline from the line art exchange. Any suggestions?

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 02:53:11 pm
Looks/Is pillow shaded. Don't ever use that technique.