AuthorTopic: [WIP - first thing] SHMUP: player ship  (Read 4215 times)

Offline gsoto

• View Profile

[WIP - first thing] SHMUP: player ship

on: February 26, 2007, 04:51:02 pm
Hi.
First of all, I apologize for my English.
I'm a graphic designer/programmer who enjoys lurking this forum from quite a while. Never been into pixeling, but since a friend is programming a space shooter I decided to help him with some graphics and give it a try.

Ok, after three days of trial and error :-[, here is the result:

I quite like it, but there's probably room for many improvements, so any comment is appreciated.
Somehow I ended with a strange style; I wonder if it's suitable for this type of game or it could give me some troubles once I start adding the rest of the graphics.

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Re: [WIP - first thing] SHMUP: player ship

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 05:18:20 pm
Funny work and style!  ;)
But maybe more aggressive in forms? like this... (in right)

Offline Jake

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 07:17:50 pm
i did an edit:

space ships tend to be compact and long, so i pulled in the guns, rockets and wings. i turned the cockpit into a half-dome, but thats just a style so you can keep it or leave it. i thought the rockets looked a bit funny just sitting out on the wings so i attached them to the main body. since your ship is yellow, i gave it blue rockets ;D

Offline mice

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:10:45 pm
If you ment for it to be quite cute, then the style is perfect.
The light source coming from the upper right works as well. Although it's something I seldom see.

Really nice!

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:13:24 pm
Well, no offense Jake and mangust, but i really prefer the original, by quite a way. Aggressive forms, yeah, but that's kinda overdone, and how often would an aggressive space fighter be painted yellow?? I love the original and its retro-submarine-ish look. The jet engines look sorta bolted on to the back, which I like because it adds character to the craft, and it fits with the dents by the edges of the wings.

About the only thing I'd like to see different is the jet flames, and the strange AA going on at the edge of the left wing and around the back of the cockpit thingy. It looks jaggy. And the flames oughta be a bit bigger and less matchstick-like I think. Something along the line of Jake's edit, but not quite so pointy. Blue might be a good color since it contrasts with the yellow and red of the ship itself.

Offline gsoto

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 10:13:02 pm
Thanks a lot for the edits and comments.

The cuteness was intentional, although not exactly planned from the beginning.
Watching the edits I'm starting to doubt if it was a good idea.

mangust, yours is definitely more aggressive but I'm not fond of the shape really.

Jake, I'm torn between your shape and mine. I like it, it's more believable, but I was aiming for something a little out of the box too. :-\

Rox, yes, I gotta do something with those flames. Could you point me where exactly is the jaggyness?

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 05:14:51 am
I also prefer the original design over the edits because it is unorthodox, but it is not the kind of shape that is usually seen and is therefore quite memorable.  I think that if you went with the kind of design presented in the edits, it would become lost in the world of all of the similar fighters out there.

Offline ejay

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 09:06:47 am
Another vote for the original.
I think the outline might be a little too dark, you can try brightening it selectively (for example in the form of selout) . You might also want to try to add some light from the back burners hitting the back of the ship. Anyway, it's cool as it is, nice design and execution.

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 09:13:49 am
Man, you did nice style! And all comments just our opinion, do as you wish, because anyway it's good work!  :y: