AuthorTopic: BATMAN  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

BATMAN

on: February 20, 2007, 01:35:22 am
me and jww were bored so we decided to have some fun.
64x64
16 colors
batman.
the purpose was to see the style differences between us( and the quality difference cough cough) and we had some fun doing so

jww

mine

comments welcome and appreciated.

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Re: BATMAN

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 01:39:24 am
fun stuff ; D  Funny how different they are.  Great job btw ryu  :y:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 01:45:09 am
Hello. Both of these are interesting in their own right, but there's critique to be made I think. Hopefully I won't seem overcritical with the below texts.

the head in jww's batman is unclear due to that very strong specular on the cheek, is it? Also the shape of the skull seems wrong. The batman suit may be latex, but those highlights would make him glow in the dark, which I guess defeats his batman suit. I'd reign that in. The pose is very good. The arm holding the cape is lost with all the speculars, you should have used negative space (black glove against background to make it read) and it's also curved in an impossible position. There's numerous places you could have aa'ed more, but that's just a personal thing about what is too sharp and what needs definition.

Yours is very grounded, a simple anatomical study, which though not wrong loses in terms of dynamics. Also your version has absolutely no neck to speak of. This shows that your recent anatomical pixel art pieces of monsters and such do not lend well to human - even superhuman - characters. I'd tone down the muscles, give him a neck, not bend that leg too much. Also far arm with the bright pixel suggesting where the opening of it is, I'd extend that arm two pixels down, as it is too short, even foreshortened. That gray buffer around the blue on the top of the cape, it reads as brighter than the blue. Therefore, you're aa-ing two shades, with a shade lighter than both. Looks wrong in my opinion. Your batman is missing one bat ear. There isn't enough space to attempt interlace pixelling here. As with every technique, there's a place where it is to be used. The shape of the cape seems arbiterate, and lacks realistic folds and depth. Seems more like a wood outcropping.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 02:06:22 am
please don't crop things on their borders, it hurts it a little :\

but what helm said pretty much, though these are very very solid!
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 04:16:12 am
I really enjoy the way you used the shades to bring bats out of the shadows, it's almost the ideal of a sprite in this dark style for me...you know, except for all those little thing Helm said :p (except for the cape thing, I mean this IS batman and its not the first time his cape goes batshit, and that I think that the pose is actually ok)

Offline Derek

• View Profile
    • derekyu.com

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 06:48:20 am
the head in jww's batman is unclear due to that very strong specular on the cheek, is it? Also the shape of the skull seems wrong.

I'm pretty sure that spec is supposed to be his right eye.  The head is extremely stylized... which I like! :y:

Overall these both are great.  Yours, Ryumaru, is easier to distinguish and is technically really well done, but I like the pose and attitude of jww's.  Great job, both of you! :D