AuthorTopic: Rainbow Sea  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Rainbow Sea

on: February 18, 2007, 02:28:01 am
The
Rainbow ocean is named after both the way a chemical in the water splits light into a stream of color and the regal glimmerfish that inhabit it. Glimmerfish are rare fish whose main length of the body is covered in many hues of scales. Its scales attract light, but then reflect it, causing light to seem to emnate from it. It swims without fins by wiggling like an eel. It is actually a sub-species of dragon, formed when a water dragon is born near the current. They are quite small.
The water waves in a consistent pattern, and seem to be leading in a current that circles the world. Anything in its path is immediately changed to a new set of colors.  Clouds are unable to fly low over the water without being separated into colors and falling into the water. Birds dislike flying over the water, because of the chance of a glimmerfish leaping out and spraying them with a the colored water, with is heavier than most water.

I wanted to type that O.o. C+C on the image. I don't know what to put in the sky, its empty! Also, palette help please. For a duel at Pixeltendo with Opacus.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: Rainbow Sea

Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 01:53:23 am
Possible palette change:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/neota/edits/rs.png

It's an interesting picture, and the colors already give a distinctly likeable atmosphere. I think you should clean it up before tweaking the palette though..

* Consider removing the shading on the sea, it will help to make things cleaner.
* the large drops are in inappropriate positions -- you should be able to draw a curve up through the splash, through a large drop at it's small end, and out at the centre of its large end. Currently that criteria is not satisfied.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 02:19:03 am
I considered possibly remving shading on the sea, or dithering it instead(jalonso's suggestion).
Alright, I can change the placement of the drops.

Thanks, and I've been told that I should make some small, dithered clouds in the backdrop. I suck at dithering though, and I have only a little time left, so my clouds may not be perfect.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 05:21:48 am
I considered possibly remving shading on the sea, or dithering it instead(jalonso's suggestion).
The main point of removing shading is to help you get everything in exactly the right shape before doing other things like shading or dithering.
Look at this:

When you simplify it, it shows that the wave shape is a bit off -- see the shape of the orange area? That looks more like a bubble than a wave. Which is okay, except you were shading it like a wave.

I think it might look better something like this (again, this only includes color rather than shading.

The other reason it might be good to omit shading is that logically, the sea should refract light -- especially because of its rainbowy properties, and if you include shading, it suggests that the picture is sufficiently detailed to include refraction -- hence it looks odd when refraction isn't included.
if you look at the top left wave, the refraction patterns might be something like that (since they flow smoothly typically)-- although those patterns were just accounting for the turbulence of the water and not actually any rendering of refraction.

Alright, I can change the placement of the drops.

Thanks, and I've been told that I should make some small, dithered clouds in the backdrop. I suck at dithering though, and I have only a little time left, so my clouds may not be perfect.

Stylistically, I think that dithering doesn't fit this artwork. It is clear and bright, but dithering tends to make things appear more (gritty? dirty? one of the two.)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:40:09 pm
I get that. I think :p

That's what I got. I kept the shading, but toned it down a little. I smoothed out some things so they were flowing, and I added a highlight down the center where clouds aren't blocking the light. The glimmerfish's scales also got a highlight, making them shiny and wet like. I moved the drops to where I thought you meant they should go. I moved some shade placement and changed how the splash was shadded. It looks better to me now.
I have to get it in by tonight :p.