AuthorTopic: seamless patterns - please help!  (Read 2801 times)

Offline albedo

• View Profile

seamless patterns - please help!

on: February 23, 2007, 12:54:44 am
Hello,

I’m working for a videogame company, making 2D games for cellular phones, Nintendo DS and PSP.

Overall my job consists of doing very small seamless patterns. It varies between 16x16 pixel and 64x64 pixels.

So far I use the common technique; I’m using the offset filter, and then I save the image as a pattern, and finally fill another image with the pattern. But well… this approach becomes very annoying and time consuming when you want to test result at every 5 seconds… If at least we could very a filled map while working with the offset and making modification… Because it doesn’t mean a pattern is seamless that it’s pleasant for the eyes.

So I tried to create the following action: select all -> create pattern -> create new 500x500 images -> fill with pattern… But the problem here is that I didn’t find a way to fill with the very last saved pattern…

I’m really hopeless with this situation.

Anyone could give me some good advices?

Thanks!!  ;D

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: seamless patterns - please help!

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 01:08:03 am
get cosmigo promotion, it has auto tile completion as well as tile drawing mode where you can set, say an 256x256 image, and tell it that each tile is 16 pixels, and then you just draw, inside any of the 16x16 squares of the grid and any other square gets updated in realtime.

www.cosmigo.com/promotion
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline albedo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 01:20:29 am
Thank you very much for the reply ptoing.

I just downloaded the trial verison of Pro Motion. Could you give me a very short guideline to use the technique you mentionned me? I never used this program.

Besides, is it normal my mouse speed doubled when I'm inside this program?

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 10:14:40 pm
about the mouse thing - you might have your mouse set to higher acceleration when playing games and windows is reading pro-mo as a game for some reason.
i haven't used the autotile feature on pro-mo so i can't help you there.
thanks Dogmeat!