AuthorTopic: [WIP] character  (Read 5889 times)

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

[WIP] character

on: February 16, 2007, 10:02:08 pm
Hello!

I have been lurking around here some time now and must say I'm very impresed by you guys :y:

Me and some friends constructing a game, and I'm in charge of graphics... still I'm not familar with this kind of pixeling...

anyway here is one character I developing... It looks really wierd.. maybe some of you guys can help me get back  on track^^

the square is the tile used in the game... looking at the models in this forum they are quite small in comparison.. maybe make bigger tiles? the problem then is to rezise everything I made so far...

here is an concept art from the game:

// Albin
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 09:50:35 am by Serendor »

Offline D39

• Dan3099
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] character

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 05:54:07 am
Firstly, you should repost those images without the imageshack link. It's annoying when people are clicking them to zoom in.

In my opinion pretty much all of that stuff has too much saturation.  Also I'm not sure about the character sprites, but those statues definately seem pillow-shaded. Which hasn't worked at all to their advantage here.

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 10:06:41 am
I fixed the links...

I'm not familiar with the terms, but yes I think its pillow shading. Anyway it's the technique I use most frequent and able to use best so it don't look like a mess...

about the saturation, I don't really see your point...

Thanks for helping :)

and pleas, more comments... ;D

//Albin

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 10:46:00 am
Like D39 said, the statues are pillowshaded and that's not a good thing imo.

For the big wall, make one side darker than the other so you can see more depth in it.
You should work on the water some more, it's just plain blue now.

I think you should zoon in on some pieces other people made, look at how it's shaded and try something like it on your character, it's also pillowshaded now

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 12:31:06 pm
What it really lacks is a light source. Maybe look at the courtyard scene for "Colditz castle" to see how shadows and stuff can
make things look better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Colditz

You can of course have you character sprites any size you want.

I would probably lose those 6 statues. Even though its a great pose
and probably the centre of mass of the statue is over the base (important so it doesn't topple) it just seems too crowded. Also their
legs seem wrong (knees in wrong place, shins too long). The colors seem wrong as d39 says (try some paler greens).
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 01:06:29 pm
There's a ton of stuff that could be done with this, if I could have my way with it. My first advice, I guess, would be to make less actual structure, and imply more of it instead. You don't have to draw every strand of grass on the ground, every leaf on a tree and every brick on a massive castle wall. It's harder to do and it's confusing to look at.

It's better to imply the shape of leaves on a tree through color and shading. You could imply the shape of bricks with color variations and mere highlights, maybe a few cracks.

Then, as sharprm said, it could really do with an obvious lightsource. As is now, things don't really cast shadows or have highlights, which makes everything look very flat. And on top of that, you've got a very strong saturation on most of the picture, which also contributes to that flat feeling. And then there's the pillow shading, of course, which is a terribly bad thing. No shading at all would look better than pillow shading. What you really need to do is sit down with one of those statues, decide a light source, and figure out where the light would and wouldn't reach. Then, apply that to everything in that picture, and your character. I suggest you start with the statue, actually, because it's not too small and has decent outlines already.

Heh, basically, I like the potential of this, but I'd like to see everything remade from scratch. I could probably write a full essay on what I'd like to see done and how to go about doing it, but I don't have time for that I'm afraid...

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 02:11:57 pm
hehehe^^

thanks guys... finally someone who complains about my pixelart...

I got tons of schoolworks now, I will start fixing all that you have comments ASAP

Thanks alot! ;D

//Albin

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 03:46:34 pm
Okay... hate schoolwork  :-\

start with the statue as  Rox said..

I tried out a more greenish colour, skipped the pillow-shadeing technique. I could have made it slightly better... but just your opinion on the new one would be great... and I try to fix the rest when I got time...

Black lines is the lightsource... hope it slightly better than previous statue model

//Albin

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 02:55:07 am
The main thing on the statue that i believe needs to be fixed is the line art. its a person but the legs and shape of armor makes little sense.
And about the shading less colours. you can get the same if not better effect with only 4-5

crap edit with 4 colours
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/6752/statuegb6.png

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 08:56:59 am
hmm... very nice K0re, I will have that in mind... I know the model anatomy may not be too good, I will try fix it when I have time...

its not my top priority... yet...

I made this ruin, not pillow shaded... I think its  much better, thank you  :)

I made as Adarias showed in the tactics character thread, I made a fast one so it's not perfect... but it's a great help in the character construction.

thanks Adarias and all

*** [EDIT] ***
Have done a walking animation... not as good as Adarias, still it turned out better than I hoped :D

Pleas, C&C  :)

//Albin
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 10:49:30 pm by Serendor »