AuthorTopic: Avatar Design Help  (Read 5557 times)

Offline stefml

• View Profile

on: February 14, 2007, 01:24:15 am
My second attempt at pixil art. my first being a flat failure.

C&C?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Avatar Design Help

Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 01:31:56 am
This isn't pixel art, and the lighting and anatomy make no sense.  Please see the tutorials thread in General Discussion!

Offline stefml

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 01:34:25 am
thx ill try to work on it.

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 10:28:49 am
I believe it might be pixel art. I think the main problem is he saved it in jpg (the first rule of pixel art is: Don't save as JPEG or JPG, as it loses far too much colour information).
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline templargfx

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 10:43:40 am
A good starting point, but much work needs to be done yet

the basic form is good, although Im not sure if its that he has no neck, or his shoulders are just too bulky, but it looks out of place.

the hands need alot of work, mainly to give more form and features to them, at the moment they are very south-park like LOL

the shading on the shirt needs either re-doing or more work. I take it the basic idea was for folds in the shirt creating the shadow, but with only 2 colors, the folds dont show up, just there shadows, making it look strange

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 02:12:53 pm
A good starting point, but much work needs to be done yet

the basic form is good, although Im not sure if its that he has no neck, or his shoulders are just too bulky, but it looks out of place.
Perhaps it's the fact he has no head?

Offline updownleftright

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 02:22:21 pm
Jeez, some people round here really have no patience with newbies! (i'm looking at you AdamAtomic) Everyone has to start somewhere!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 02:40:18 pm
Updownleftright, do not go around in threads and snipe against people you don't like. This isn't the way we do things around here. This isn't pixel art, and the person who started this thread should read the begginer tutorials. AdamAtomic is a valuable member of the community, having helped numerous people, especially newbies with critique and edits when nobody else would, but you wouldn't know any of that because you're just sniping.

If you don't like this community, then leave. If you stay, respect the userbase.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 03:06:51 pm
Jeez, some people round here really have no patience with newbies! (i'm looking at you AdamAtomic) Everyone has to start somewhere!

Yes, well done.  I congratulate you on your conclusion that no-one can just be born a master of pixel-art.  10 points. 

Looking at what you have so far, art-wise, the composition the colors and overall form of the piece are not artistically very good.  You should read some tutorials or buy some books on anatomy and traditional art before you get into a specific medium.  This isn't pixelart so not much to critique - why not read some pixelart tutorials/articles so you can understand more about the medium and how to practise it.

Edit - on further conclusion it is a .jpg and is causing this to look (badly) photoshopped.  Save as gif or png.   Still standby what i said about your general art skills though.

Offline khorin

• I ruled the forces that fueled your hate.
    • View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 03:09:36 pm
Please go here stefml: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=222.0

You shouldn't have dumped your first idea to start on another one. Use that first one to learn pixel art. Once you've reached a stopping point, then you can work on this. However, it seems you need to know the drawing basics as well as many other aspects of art. You did mention you have no art backround right?

Plus, I already told you not to save in jpeg. Come on, you gotta listen to people if you want to get better!