AuthorTopic: [WIP] Slime  (Read 9364 times)

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Slime

Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 05:07:36 pm
Whoa looking good man. but that darkest shade on the front heavily bothers be. I'd say extend it further or remove it altogether. :D

Offline Jhelle

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 07:02:09 pm
I see what you mean , the shade there looks very unnatural, I am working on a better shade and update this post asap with it.

EDIT:

I made 4 different edits, but its weird imo the second shade seems to fit best .. hehe maybe it wasn't such a good idea to start with a slime but o well now that im at it ill finish it :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 07:11:40 pm by Jhelle »

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 01:20:24 am
Wow your getting better.

Keep at it! You'll do great!

My only advice is to start small and Google some tutorials to start getting a basic understanding on whats happening. Another thing to do will be to study the art of others and see how they apply the principles of pixel art.

Anyway,

Good Luck!

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 08:25:47 am
Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to start with a slime.
For slimes, you need to know shading, refection etc. The good side is you don't need any anatomy (except classical slime anatomy).
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 05:07:00 pm
I'd recommend a more top-down lighting scheme - otherwise it is going to look unnatural when you have to flip the sprite in-game, and it also makes the form of the slimeball very hard to read.  Even given the basic shape of your slime ball, the way you have shaded him makes him look like a flat piece of clay, rather than a round piece of slime!  I think you need to do some research - look up pictures of slugs and frogs and things, to see how slimy things actually look!

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 09:32:45 pm
I don't have time (nor talent) for an edit but I found a good reference which could help you while shading :

Offline Jhelle

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 08:59:34 pm
Wow your getting better.

Keep at it! You'll do great!

My only advice is to start small and Google some tutorials to start getting a basic understanding on whats happening. Another thing to do will be to study the art of others and see how they apply the principles of pixel art.

Anyway,

Good Luck!
Thanks mate, I have been reading some long tutorial on spriting and the basics of it, too bad there isn't anything about slimes in there :D

I'd recommend a more top-down lighting scheme - otherwise it is going to look unnatural when you have to flip the sprite in-game, and it also makes the form of the slimeball very hard to read.  Even given the basic shape of your slime ball, the way you have shaded him makes him look like a flat piece of clay, rather than a round piece of slime!  I think you need to do some research - look up pictures of slugs and frogs and things, to see how slimy things actually look!
Hi, about the top down lightning scheme, it luckely is't nessisary. I have been looking up on some pictures about slugs and frogs and I noticed that the lightning reflected is almost  always pure white except when its a colored light.
Thanks for the advice :)

I don't have time (nor talent) for an edit but I found a good reference which could help you while shading :

Thanks , nice pic to research lightning for me :)

---
I've tried to apply the lightning on my slime but I am not totally sure it worked out. But it definatly looks more slimey now