AuthorTopic: Pixelator: Round 2 RESULTS  (Read 144582 times)

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Re: Pixelator: Round 2 RESULTS

Reply #190 on: February 27, 2007, 07:54:18 pm
My apologies to everyone for not having a finished entry :sry:
In short, I miscaculated the date and thought I´d have the last weekend as well, which led me to slack a lil bit too much (I´ve been doing other pixel work in this time, as you may know). Two days before the deadline, I realized I had a lot less time than I expected. On Thursday I received the news that a very dear member of my family had died. All this combined, plus school, led to this. As you see, luck is on my side :( Again, I beg for forgiveness, since this was mostly my fault.

one thing i find slightly unfair is how filax failed to complete the challenge yet still continues to the next round.  The challenge was to make an alien world/map - not 2 tiles on a colored canvas.  Nothing personal, filax, but i think GNdestroyer should go through instead (as he - in my eyes - was the best runner-up).

anyways, i'm not a judge.  Just saying.
Yes, I understand this. If the judges find it best they may give my place anyone else they find worthy of going through (though not necessarily GND).

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile

Reply #191 on: February 27, 2007, 07:58:44 pm

I just wanted to add some comments to some pieces. My favorite one being Buloght's piece (above). I love this piece the Hand emerging from the water makes me think that there is some sort of ancient civilization on this alien planet... The fossil looks awesome! Every tile complimenting the next, well done.

Snakes piece is very good! Also a favorite, I love the scientific spacey feel to it. Technology reigns on this alien planet, or so it feels. I get a Abe feel of off it, the goo is awesome with the reflection and it almost seems like some light is coming from it., the only thing ruining the piece for me is the very flat (on the sides) terrain at the top and also the very straight line where the pipe goes in the ground, it feels like the tile is cut off?

Anyway I would love to review all the pieces, but I am really lazy now. I liked all of them! Respect to all entrants cause this topic was hard IMO. I still want to create something like this one day.

Good luck to everyone for ROUND 3! 

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Reply #192 on: February 27, 2007, 08:11:26 pm
very nice done everybody...

think I best like Buloght pice aswell, like the jungel like feeling of it... very nice :y:

//Albin

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #193 on: February 27, 2007, 09:59:26 pm
Snake, that is completely awesome, I'm stunned. I love it, the alien technology, the atmosphere. It's truly magnificent.
Good job eveyone.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #194 on: February 27, 2007, 10:33:08 pm
I knew this'd be worth it. Some REALLY flat pieces that all seem very similar to each other somehow... Which is also EXACTLY how mine would look were I in this. But luckily, I'm not.

But some pieces REALLY stick out as really beautiful with ingenious use of the available colors. It's amazing to see some of the diversity that can be created under the exact same circumstances and rules. Great job everyone.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #195 on: February 27, 2007, 10:35:19 pm
I have to admit, that I was expecting more from this competition(As in better results), probably the lack of people understanding the rules was the main problem, even though some of the results are awesome( Especially Snakes, and Buloght) I just hope that in the following rounds people submit complete pixelart. Apart from that good luck everyone :D

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #196 on: February 27, 2007, 11:01:26 pm
Great turnout guys. I'm surprised how many chose to use green slime/plants and brownish dirt. Didn't feel my entry was very original, but at least we get to see some great variation in technique. B.O.B has some interesting contrast going for his tiles. Filax' entry would have been interesting to see more of. Buloght made a clever choice by focussing mainly on a small area. Looks like nothing is reused, but the aesthetics are great.

About the hard edges. There were tiles made to fix that. In fact I had slime vines, measuring equipment, neon light slime clusters, broken tubes and whatnot. Trouble was I noticed a little late that my tilecount was 49 due to a misscalculation. Had to do a somewhat brutal cut-job to have something to post.

Was thinking it could be interesting to connect up all the tiles at one point, but I see the styles are pretty different. Would be fun to try though.

Looking forward to the next round.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #197 on: February 28, 2007, 01:24:40 am
I wish I'd made it past round 1. I feel I would've done well in this round.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #198 on: February 28, 2007, 01:43:05 am
mirre and the bob seem to be the only ones that noticed that they needed to make there 4 interchangeble colors into a completely different hue ramp to avoid a monochromatic, or toned down image.
lovely work from EVERYONE.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #199 on: February 28, 2007, 01:54:32 am
Just about everyone saw that they needed a blue in there to break it up.
I feel I would've done well in this round.
Make one anyway. Show us up.

Can't wait to see what round three will be...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 01:58:24 am by Blick »