AuthorTopic: [WIP] Spectrum Palette Mockup *Update*  (Read 2447 times)

Offline sirnoodles

• View Profile

[WIP] Spectrum Palette Mockup *Update*

on: February 13, 2007, 11:56:18 pm
Hey!
     I just got into pixeling as a game designer, and I've been working on a mockup recently. It uses a really basic palette which I belive is from the spectrum. Okay, I updated. How's the new hud? I also screwed with the tiles and grasses, But now the top seems empty. Anyone have ideas on what to add?

I'm open to downright cruel critique, so fire away!
Note: I'm only using the spectrum palette, so don't comment on the systems restrictions please.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:29:53 am by sirnoodles »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Spectrum Palette Mockup

Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 01:30:17 am
I think with such a restricted palette, you really have to experiment with techniques to broaden the color range. Just because you have a pure green color, and grass is green, doesn't mean you should limit your grass color to that one shade. Maybe try dithering it with some blue to add shadow, or white for highlight, anything to keep it looking really flat and boring.

I actually had an idea to make a game only using the MSPaint palette, it didn't fly too well, maybe you'll have better luck with your project. :)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: [WIP] Spectrum Palette Mockup

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 01:34:46 am
I like your little knights and the clouds a lot.  I would make the HUD half the height it currently is, and replace that big weird "savior" junk with the health or score meter.  should be easy enough to dump the skulls then too!  The pink sides of the rocks look funny to me.  I agree that a little more experimentation is probably necessary to push this all the way - even if you don't experiment with the grass, at least try some different approaches to the dirt.  You could easily put some gray rocks in there!