AuthorTopic: (WIP) I've got a PHD in "suck at anatomy"  (Read 9908 times)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

(WIP) I've got a PHD in "suck at anatomy"

on: February 07, 2007, 07:47:59 pm

Rarely in my day to day work do I come across a need for anatomy so whenever it comes up I'm always surprised and frustrated at how bad I am at it. I will be using this as a starting point to sharpen my anatomy skills. Well more like widdle them into something that vaguely resembles a point for now. Anyways...any help anybody has to offer would be appreciated. This is a make or break piece for a current project in negotiations so making it look nice is pretty key.

Nevermind the colors or shading for now, I kept it simple rather than having to go back and redo complex things later.

Oh, and this is a female model here although she seems to look rather manly...:/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 07:25:34 pm by Doppleganger »

cryssy

Re: (WIP) I've got a PHD in "suck at anatomy"

Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:24:24 pm
Ok one thing I see off the bat are the shoulders are quite large. Tone them down a little and see how that makes her look :)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:20:56 pm
i tried to fix some major issues without editing the sillouette too much:

im really not qualified to even edit your piece as im not anywhere near satisfactory at anatomy either. hopefully itll atleast put you a step in the right direction for other more qualified artists to crit.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:10:52 pm

I could have just pasted an anatomical sheet since your image is close to the basic human frame anatomy chart that you can find in anatomy books* but I drew just so I can become better too. Now I know my image seems a bit uninspiring, and almost noone in illustration works so anatomically-correct (because reality is boring, hm) but you should conquer this before moving on with stylization.

* Get one of those, though.

Also 7-head version because women come in many varieties.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 11:22:09 pm by Helm »

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 07:25:25 pm
Thanks for all your help guys. While it turns out that we're going to be going a completely different route, Disney meets vector meets unoriginality...ugh, I managed to redo the whole thing taking into account all of the suggestions. The piece started out as a complete different pose, a bit too alluring and then turned back into the original pose up here. Which is too realistic apparently. Anyways, this was a great learning experience. I doubt I'll have time to edit this anymore as it's pretty much useless but any c & c I can take into account later is still appreciated.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 07:58:20 pm
Belly is good. Generally I think the torso is servicable. Face too round and also suffering from anime-ification for no apparent reason, clashes with more realistic anatomy and rendering of the rest of her. Shape of the arms and legs suggests a lack of understanding of underlying muscules and bones and how it all comes together. I would suggest a good anatomy book. Also, pay special attention on how a human being is constructed in a 3d plane and how he's grounded on the floor and so on. It should be in the book you get, something like 'anatomy and perspective for the artist' should do the trick.

Don't dispair, you've become better already. Keep it up.  :)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 08:04:59 pm
The face was anime-ified in the last moments before the developer opted to go a cartoonish route. Maybe an attempt to save face for all the work I had done. Either way, it never got to the point where I was able to show him. Anime is what got me into this mess in the first place. Ages ago I bought a few how to draw anime books in an attempt to get better at anatomy. Unfortunately that was an awful choice I can never take back. XD

You're right about lack of understanding in legs and arms, it's always been my biggest concern.

As far as the 3d plane goes, perspective is my other problem. How unfortunate that some of the most important aspects of art are the ones I've yet to comprehend.

I was going to ask what book it is that serves as the artist's bible for anatomy but you beat me to it. I've heard that book so many times it's a wonder why I still don't own it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 08:09:21 pm
Most people go with Loomis. I learned anatomy with old Michaelangelo Series art books, and still have the basic anatomical chart on my wall.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 11:30:26 pm
Most people go with Loomis. I learned anatomy with old Michaelangelo Series art books, and still have the basic anatomical chart on my wall.

Mmm I think I'd prefer the Michaelangelo Series rather than Loomis, but I used neither, as I learned my anatomy form a hodgepodge of different soucres :D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.