AuthorTopic: forest + Forest dungeon tileset  (Read 8118 times)

Offline DJ gman

• what a secksy beast
    • View Profile

forest + Forest dungeon tileset

on: February 02, 2007, 05:19:43 am

been working on updating my tile set for my mmo in the forest area. working on the outside of the forest dungeon. gonna add some vines and a base for the dungeon. afterwards gonna work on the inside tileset. but C+C please. I'd like any suggestions whatsoever

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Re: forest + Forest dungeon tileset

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 02:01:06 pm
I general I think this has a charming look, it just feels a wee bit flat and dull. Some experimenting with hue-shifting, more clearly defined forms and lightsource on the rocks and trees and less mirroring would do wonders, I think.

Offline That One Guy

• Project Faust Head Designer
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 03:32:11 pm
'Eeeyyyyyyyy[/Fonz]

Sup Gman, still love your style.. Although I do agree, the colors need some livening up.
--Project Faust
Current Game
-~Castle Of The Dying Moon~-

Offline LechooY

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 04:44:18 pm
Hi.

I think its very good art, especially for game.

Because its my first post I'd like say Hello all forum its great  ;D

Bye.

Offline DJ gman

• what a secksy beast
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 05:10:16 pm
thanks for the C+C *hallo that one guy* and yeah i understand what you aree getting at but I'm not all sure as to how to liven it up as you say. I mean i'd like to have these look the best they can but i wanna stick to a general pallette. maybe a small example of what you're talking about hill help me more.

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 06:12:45 pm
Quote from: DJ gman
i understand what you aree getting at but I'm not all sure as to how to liven it up as you say.
Try using less obvious colour ramps, like light saturated green to dark desaturated green.  The colours are extremely orthodox, and I don't think they serve the content as well as they could.  For example, rarely in nature will you see trees of such a straight brown colour, yet it has become something of a game art convention.

Here's a somewhat boring edit that illustrates some hue shifts and variation in saturation.

Also, with areas of geometry like the stairs and the little lamps you shouldn't need to define internal edges with outlines like you have;  leave that to a difference in tone.  Some faces should be lighter or darker than others.

Offline DJ gman

• what a secksy beast
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 06:26:13 pm
thanks for the help lackey. i would've never thought of that. while you were editing i tried at doing some hue shifting on some objects in the game. which do you guys think would be the best? i eidted the inside wall of the dungeon along with the front door and the cliffside i did. personally i think the cliffside came out better than the last.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 10:21:37 pm
The new palettes already look a little better, but you're still shading everything very monochromatic. Which means that when you're doing something like grass or leaves, you only shade them in different greens. Or rocks only in greys and wood only in browns. You should experiment a little more, try mixing all the colours together. In reality, hardly anything is really monochromatic, there's all kinds of shades mixed into every surface. It will make your tiles look a lot more vibrant instantly.
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline DJ gman

• what a secksy beast
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 04:02:13 am
well the game has a bit of a cartoonish style to it wouldn't you use more monochromatic colors for it?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 05:52:40 pm by DJ gman »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 08:40:22 pm
I think most everything could use a bit more texture. The stone walls of the building look very flat, and boring. Also, I noticed in particular the pond, it looks more like a golf green than a pond, add ripples and a few more lighter tones. Over all, an appealing peice, I just think it could do with some touchup.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.