AuthorTopic: Fields...Just To Show My Skill As An Artist  (Read 4185 times)

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Fields...Just To Show My Skill As An Artist

on: February 01, 2007, 11:35:40 pm
Well, here's some fields I made on my birthday last year (Oct 5). Someone gave me the idea on another forum and a friend helped me decide on the style so here it is. C + C please. :)

Offline Solitaire

• ?!?!?!?!?!?!
    • View Profile

Re: Fields...Just To Show My Skill As An Artist

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 11:44:40 pm
hmm...the sun looks nice...but,the lighting on the hills seem to be going in the wrong direction,also they are pillow shaded.The lake also is completly solid and could benifit from some lighting to show depth.Just a few tips,anyway,looks good!
-CK-

Offline khorin

• I ruled the forces that fueled your hate.
    • View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 11:48:27 pm
How did you get the sun to look like that?  ???

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 11:51:42 pm
sun is photoshopped.  in the introductions thread you said you've being pixelling for a year.  somehow i doubt that considering you still havent grasped the art of pixel per pixel placement - no sneaky tricks.

try reading up on some tutorials.  studying some photos to see that is not how the real world looks may also be a good idea.

its good your starting small like a lot of new people here don't manage to do.  i suggest you read up on the basic forms of you shapes and lightsourcing.  here the sun is your lightsource (a strong one too) yet all of your mounds have shadows around them.  the top would be quite brightly lit, and the near sides would be really contrasted and dark.

i suggest you look a photos of hills and valleys, i guaratee you will never see any that look like pillows stiched together.

All the best

Feron

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 11:55:32 pm
Photoshop smudge effect. :)

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 12:09:40 am
I'm assuming that sun isn't hand pixeled. If it is- GOD, TOO MANY COLORS. :'( In fact, Gale just reported that this has 959 colors. Normally that's a few too many for pixel art. Oh, and while we're on the subject of... stuff, rivers don't go uphill normally. They're also usually not on the tops of gradual slopes either, but... yeah. Here's a super quick edit:

Other comments:
-rivers aren't actually that blue (although I've seen a few come fairly close), and water reflects light a lot.
-shadows are normally much darker at sunset/sunrise times. as opposed to midday.
-why on earth would there be sand on a green hilly area? unless that's dirt, then it should be colored accordingly.
-instead of having a hundred+colored sky, you could use some of those colors on the hills.
-pillowshading. :/ lightsources are your friends, don't shut them out.
-hills could use some texture of some sort.

Yeah. :-X

EDIT: 4 new posts while writing this. Some things might be repeated now.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 12:17:48 am
Thank you. I appreciate your crit and the example you gave me. I am just a beginner and looking to get much better. :]

Offline khorin

• I ruled the forces that fueled your hate.
    • View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 02:27:59 pm
I would go to google images and search "sunrise hill". I've found some pretty good reference photos that you could use. Good luck!

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 09:19:02 pm
I think this peice could do with lower saturation. These colors bit a bit too vibrant for the kind of scene I think you are trying to portray. I would also go for a more sunset looking horizone, by this I mean reds, purples,pinks, and orange in the horizon, not the standard sky blue.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.