AuthorTopic: Redoing a sig  (Read 3725 times)

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Redoing a sig

on: July 09, 2007, 12:34:34 am
i made this a few months ago and fell it needs to be updated a bit
i had alot of fun making it and it has penguins  ;D

i have noticed a few flaws but want to see what you have to say first

Things that iv noticed

-No border
-Cliff needs help
-Penguins look like paper
-River/pond needs help

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Re: Redoing a sig

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 01:37:24 am
Interesting concept, but like you said, it's going to need a bit of work. :)

Your colors don't look very natural. Do a Google image search for images of rivers or fjords and mountains to get a better idea of what such a scene would look like. Shadows are generally darker, less saturated and more blueish.

The green is too saturated, the mountains should fade with distance, and the cliff should be more uniform. Shouldn't there be snow up there? Looks like it's pretty high up judging by the perspective (the snow on the mountains follow the same horizontal line).

The river looks small. I don't think the rapids would be that pronounced from that distance. Both the lake and river should be darker since the mountains would be reflected in them to some degree. At the very least, they should be the same color as the sky. Water by itself has little color; it reflects what's around it.

The penguins do look flat. Try and find some round shapes and look at how shadow and light follow their form. The penguins should also cast a shadow.

I hope that's helpful. Looking forward to seeing your edits. :)

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 04:08:39 am
thanks

heres a little color update :)
what ya think now?

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 01:14:12 pm
much better colors. btw where is your light source? the penguins get light from the left side the mountains get light from the right (but are a bit inconsistent, they don't drop shadows and the nearer mountains could use some more contrast).
also try to make the cliff out of multiple stones/ give it a form that looks more like a big natural stone instead of a stone being cut to make a nice platform for penguins to stand on :)

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 07:27:59 pm
ya when i started making this i want thinking about a light source.... ill have to fix that too now

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 12:35:53 pm
I don't think pillow shading the river is a good idea. Yes, generally water seems darker the deeper it is, but that's not what you would see from such a distance/this viewpoint. I think you should add reflections much rather than this kind of shading.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 04:08:35 pm
I agree with Phitipptr. I also think you should remove all of the tributaries running into the river form the mountains, it does not look like actual tributaries, more like blue twigs. Either, work on making it look more like streams, or remove them. I would also remove the lines in the horizon, or add some dithering. Up the contrast on the penguin, so it is possible to tell there is actually shading on them from 1x. That will probably help solve the "paper" issue.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 05:13:43 pm
changed contrast and took away rivers
also threw in the old cliff the neon green was hurting my eyes