AuthorTopic: Purple Hippo WIP  (Read 2523 times)

Offline hackworth

• View Profile

Purple Hippo WIP

on: January 31, 2007, 09:00:51 am
I originally did this about 3 years ago. But, i had no idea what i was doing in photoshop so i made each "pixel" 16 pixels square. I was just using the defualt grid. Anyway, copied it to paint by looking at the original and placing individual pixels. i've been trying to fix the line art/shade this beast and I'm getting frustrated. I've looked at examples on this site (which is THE resource for pixel art help IMO) but i do not have enough experience. I'm looking for additional reading material on dithering and AAing Suggestions?

oh yeah, First Post. WooT!

Offline snake

• View Profile

Re: Purple Hippo WIP

Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 03:33:11 pm
Welcome to Pixelation.

Thought some questions might be answered in an edit:

I have applied dithering and AA to your lines using the same amount of colours you have in your list. The contrast has been increased to make more use of each colour, and to make the overall character more visible. Note the AA around the eyes and how you can very the length, shape and impact of a shape by using different degrees of light and dark shades. The outlines have been smoothed out in the same way, with the outline colour changing with the lightsource, sometimes merging all together given what effect you want to achieve. For larger areas I've used dithering, but it also shows how you can blend dithering and hard-edged shadows.

If you're looking for tutorials on techniques, I suggest you check out this thread: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=222.0

Happy pixeling.  :y:

Offline hackworth

• View Profile

Re: Purple Hippo WIP

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 08:44:57 pm
A 1k thanks Snake. I'll swim through that link intensive thread and hone my skillz. Since most of my drawings have similar shapes the examples in your edit will help immeasurably. I'll post something new after i make some progress. thanks again.