AuthorTopic: WIP Tree  (Read 5995 times)

Offline ebutterfly

• View Profile

WIP Tree

on: January 28, 2007, 09:00:48 pm
Well, here it is:
I'm trying to go for a "cartoony" look.. I know the shading is wrong, ie shadows etc. but I don't really know how to fix that. Also...the whole dithering thing is messing me up. Should I or shouldn't I? How do you know when to use that? If the piece is bigger? Anyways, any advice you have will be very much appreciated.

cryssy

Re: WIP Tree

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 09:22:05 pm
This is a small suggestion to a good start.
Go back and smooth out your lines :) I believe that would help a bit. I can't give tree shading advice I don't know how XD

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:51:29 pm
As per dithery, it's usually used to combine two shades/colors so that there can be a smooth transition between them, or, if you're trying to keep color count low, dithering can be used to make another color that's a mix between two others. Looks like your using it here to imply a shadow beneath the tree, which is cool, but I think it would be better if you just left out the dithering right now. Make chunks of shading where you want there to be shadows then go back and add details like dithering and such.

Oh yeah, ditto to what Cryssy said.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 10:14:42 pm
Here are some crits. First off, your lines indeed need some smoothing. Your curves in your line look jagged.
Here's what I mean:

The second is what you are doing, and the first is how it should be done. It will make your art look much nicer, especially seeing you're going for a bit Wind waker esque cartoony style, which involves curles. And curles obviously look better smooth. If you can't get it right, try resizing your curl/curve.
My second point of critique would be shading. You might've read Tsugumo's tutorial, if not, read it (http://www.geocities.com/skulkraken2002/) . Which shows some examples of a tree.
You can use kind of a spherical form of the tree, as the spheres would show all bunches of the leaves. This means you can simply use basic spherical shading and clean it up.
Like this:

Off course, you can tweak the shape however much you want. (Don't look at the trunk, by the way)
And you can stylize it as much as you like.
Also, your dithering seems to be very jagged, and there is too much dithering overall, you can simply use your colours better and get
rid of the dithering.
Well, this is my first kind off in depth critique, go easy on me :P

Offline ebutterfly

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 10:43:20 pm
Thanks to all who have responded and given me advice. I will definitely take in what you've said. I'll try to post the cleaned up version by tommorow.

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 04:51:39 pm
Cleaning up the line art is usually a waste of time. It's easier to do that later during the Anti-aliasing process. Right now I think the biggest problem with this pictures are the colours. They are pretty boring and they aren't contrasted enough. Here's a quick 'n dirty edit:

Here's what I did:
*changed the colours
*reduced the colour count
*experimented with some line weight to give it a more cartoony style
*some cartoony shading
*some other stuff

Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline TeenIce

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 11:56:35 am
Something like that?:

Can't finish it right now, I have something important to do (something with snow... guess what). I'll be right back with it.

EDIT

1~1.5h of work. End thats end for me.

My head goes boom, boom!... xD

Based on Mr.Modem colors ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 02:32:40 pm by TeenIce »

Scotteh

Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 04:51:44 pm
Thats a outstanding edit teenice :y:

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 05:24:45 pm
Wow, awesome edit TeenIce. It beats my 15 minute edit so hard it isn't even funny.  ;D
I hope ebutterfly will post an update soon.
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline TeenIce

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 05:47:02 pm
Yea, its kinda funny one. I had much fun with reediting it! :)

And my last... lass, last edition:

9 colors. As usual, something quite simple moves my imagination to work :P

Thanks Mr.Modem and ebutterfly for 3h of fun! :lol: