AuthorTopic: Small Iso Pool  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Xero

• View Profile

Small Iso Pool

on: January 28, 2007, 08:35:47 am
Hadn't done anything in a while so I decided to see if I could still make isometric pixels :P pretty happy with how this turned out, but way too many colours I think - 26 all up including the base (7) and transparency. Two versions. One inground and one a bit out. Made as a sort of habbohotel styled piece to help out someone having trouble with their own iso pool. Some criticism would be great, as I've never pixelled water before, and could use help especially with it.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Small Iso Pool

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 08:38:46 am
Looks good, except... You used semi transparency. :mean:
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Xero

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:34:38 am
If you mean I used a transparency tool in a program, I did not. It was 100% hand pixelled. Please do not much such accusations without adequate evidence.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 10:27:24 am
I thought the same thing, actually. You should consider it a compliment if you did do it by hand, because it sure looks too good to not have anything to do with a semi-transparent layer.

Actually, it looks good no matter what. The water reminds me of an early shader demo I saw for some graphics card in a relatively old game magazine, where they used, like, normal maps and reflection or whatever on real time water. And it looked almost exactly like that. And I remember thinking "Wow, that sure looks.. not at all like water... unless those characters are half an inch tall and those enormous waves are actually just ripples.."

But yours is to scale and is looking very good!

Offline Xero

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 11:58:39 am
Thankyou very much, I guess I will take it as a compliment. It really wasn't all that difficult though, I just shaded the water that shows the right wall of the pool darker than the left wall and the bottom, and the lines joining them and joining the tiles at the bottom even darker.. if that makes sense? :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 12:26:34 pm by Xero »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 06:21:55 pm
looks good - it'd be nice to see a little hue shifting in the tiles that go around the pool maybe?  also i prefer the in-ground one, the out-of-ground one looks like something from a bad Quake level ;)

Offline MateusThiago

• "I know the pieces fit"
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 10:01:31 pm
noob question: is it really all that bad to use a transparent layer? Or is it just a puritan thing?
" This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
Embrace this moment, remember:
We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion. "

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 12:24:41 am
noob question: is it really all that bad to use a transparent layer? Or is it just a puritan thing?

as long as you made both layers i dont see why not.  just a time saver really.  probably bumps your color count up - but that could easily be tinkered with...