AuthorTopic: Christmas Elves - Also...a question that's been bugging me  (Read 4274 times)

Offline thepezman

• View Profile

+ all the recolors

What's been bugging me is my speed.  I have no method of comparison for if I make quick work, or if I'm really falling behind.  So...how long do you think all this took me?   Even better, how long would all this have taken you?

Offline typeoh

• View Profile

Re: Christmas Elves - Also...a question that's been bugging me

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 08:32:05 pm
Wow,that's quite an extensive sprite set.

The only crit that I have is that the animation from the back view of the hammer hitting looks awkward as he raises it. Something between the sudden overlap of the hat and the fact that it kinda looks like his hand...

And I'm sorry, but I have no idea how to answer your question. I know nothing about finishing pixel art in a timely fashion, let alone finishing pixel art at all  ;)

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 09:31:31 pm
First I would like to say they are really nice animations, nicely put together, possibly late for whatever they where going to be used for "Christmas" :P But nice none the less. One problem is the side animation compared to the back, you have a crease in the hat on the side animation that is not on any others. Just a minor detail dont mean to nit pick.

About the speed, speed should never be a concern. Although fast artwork can be beneficial, if something takes you long to do, it should never concern you. Everyone works at their own pace, and if you enjoy it, the time is well spent.

Happy pixeling.

Offline Solitaire

• ?!?!?!?!?!?!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 11:38:31 pm
Nice!I only have one extremly small thing to tell you: On the hammer swinging animation for the side view elf a blackish pixel seems to flicker at the end of the animation at the top right hand cornerish....that's all!!!Good job!!
-CK-

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 12:02:16 am
Great looking sprites and they are quite smooth

Did you base them off of the minish miners from the minish cap?

Offline thepezman

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 08:38:33 pm
Oh, they were done for christmas.  I just...never actually posted them here untill now  ^_^;;

Minish Cap?  No...no I actually didn't have any other work in mind as I was making this.

But..um...*bump*  Anyone?  Speed?  Eh?
It does matter, actually, if your hoping to do some freelance work.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 09:26:03 pm
Well, uh... depends on a lot of things. If it's just one character with no strings attached, i'd say about one day including proper cleanup and so forth.

But there's a lot of things that can add to the time.. and i mean A LOT. Like if you have to make a graphical guide and/or specs for a whole game, or have to follow excisting specs. It's easier if you work alone, but even small directions for other people can double your work.

The client might also be completely clueless and often you might get free hands to do what you want, but later on they start to get lots of opinions... so you have to yank out something beforehand and state that any extra opinions or such will also take a lot of extra time.

So i'd say it would take 1 DAY's worth of work. Always gotta have lots of extra in the estimates cause there's bound to be random stuff possibly slowing you down... oh and if i say 1 DAY, then our producer at work would make that 2 Days in the project plan  :D

Offline Chris_Alex

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 10:21:48 pm
The animations look pretty good, all i would suggest, is changing the lightest hues towards yellow....and the darkest towards blue or purple...dunno, just mix them up a little.

About the time 1 day, and like they said above, put 2 with the unforseen.