AuthorTopic: Harry Potter sprite  (Read 9527 times)

Offline Kame

• View Profile

Harry Potter sprite

on: January 24, 2007, 10:50:22 pm
This isn't really a WIP, but I don't consider it finished. Since this is my first post, I may as well contribute something..

Well, I obviously stole some of the colors from the GBA sprite.. but besides that, the sprite has an obvious unprofessionalism that I can't pin down and also, I'm sure, some other errors. The wrinkles I'm very unhappy with, but didn't know what to do about. Since there are some great pixel artists/critics here, I'm sure you'll be able to nitpick/edit this thing to death, and hopefully it'll result in a much better sprite.

Offline skeddles

• I love these emoticons.
    • View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Re: Harry Potter sprite

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 10:59:46 pm
This isn't really a WIP, but I don't consider it finished. Since this is my first post, I may as well contribute something..

Well, I obviously stole some of the colors from the GBA sprite.. but besides that, the sprite has an obvious unprofessionalism that I can't pin down and also, I'm sure, some other errors. The wrinkles I'm very unhappy with, but didn't know what to do about. Since there are some great pixel artists/critics here, I'm sure you'll be able to nitpick/edit this thing to death, and hopefully it'll result in a much better sprite.

just looks like a bigger version...if thats what your aiming for the good job

Offline Kame

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 11:10:04 pm

just looks like a bigger version...if thats what your aiming for the good job
It's also from a platform perspective... I just realized a few problems... too many colors too many similar hues.. I'm off to do some editing of my own work.

EDIT: Well, getting too late to do anymore. I'll give it another go in the morning before school.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:41:25 am by Kame »

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 11:33:46 pm
you should go with something more different than just a remake..And yeah, as you pointed you are using alot of colors that look similar.

Offline Kame

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 02:42:39 am
I know, but I don't really care. I'm not making it to stand on it's own, I really just want to improve it as much as possible before I start to work on other forms of it.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 02:46:57 am
hmm if you really want to improve it change his pose, most good plataform main characters doesn't stand that way, see Megaman Zero, or any fighting game.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 03:40:04 pm

Honestly, the greatest position for his wand.. EVER!

The light seems to shine side on on this arm, and that makes it a little hard to make out.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 05:42:26 pm
One problem (and this is a problem with the reference sprite as well) is that his pose is incredibly rigid, as if he's standing at attention in the army or something. Always take the opportunity to use a character's pose to tell us something about them. Is he in the middle of fighting monsters? His pose then would be different than if he's hanging around Hogwarts or whatever. Decide what you want to portray and show it though his stance.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Kame

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 08:23:05 pm
One problem (and this is a problem with the reference sprite as well) is that his pose is incredibly rigid, as if he's standing at attention in the army or something. Always take the opportunity to use a character's pose to tell us something about them. Is he in the middle of fighting monsters? His pose then would be different than if he's hanging around Hogwarts or whatever. Decide what you want to portray and show it though his stance.
I thought of that, but I wasn't sure what position someone would normally stand in. We normally just.. stand. relatively straight, arms hanging, which I tried to make it seem like he's doing. I think I pushed his chest out a bit too much. I also just realized his wand should hang, not stick up, if he's just standing around. He's only harry potter, so I didn't want him in a fighting position or anything.. well, I'll fix that stuff tonight.

Offline Amon

• Whut?
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 10:32:37 pm
The way you've got it looks more like a side scroller than the top-down 3/4 view shown in the GBA example.  Was that intentional?  If not, his left foot should be visible.