AuthorTopic: Hello, new here! Some stuff I made inside...  (Read 5677 times)

Offline MateusThiago

• "I know the pieces fit"
    • View Profile

Hello, new here! Some stuff I made inside...

on: January 21, 2007, 06:32:12 pm
Hello, everyone! After peeking around for a while, I decided to register to show some stuff I've been doing and learn more... It's not much really, since I'm a big noob in pixel art. I have a game project that's been around for some years now - it doesn't mean I've worked hard on it, it means it's been abandoned several times =P - and this game making stuff made me want to try a hand at pixel art. I've always looked at those isometric cities on eboy and others like that with great awe, but never had the guts to try it, since I know it takes a lot of time and practice to be good at this and I'm kinda impatient guy. But as I'll never learn if I don't practice, here I am, crawling from below to reach the top someday and be like many of you here, who show some impressive work.

Well, enough talk, here's the thing: some clouds I made recently for my game. Left is each cloud seperately and right is their actual use ingame. Sizes differ because the game resolution is different. Please note that nothing here is done by me except the char and the clouds. The map was put together using pre-made tilesets. The little char is kinda crappy, I know, and I will try to fix it later. He looks so small because this is obviously and overworld map. Other things may look strange also because I started this back at 2001, and didn't care much back then. So, any feedback is kindly appreciated. Hit hard so I can learn from any mistakes I make. Thanks!

Current:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 06:13:34 pm by MateusThiago »
" This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
Embrace this moment, remember:
We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion. "

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Re: Hello, new here! Some stuff I made inside...

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 06:40:08 pm
That's very nice! But, try and make the grass on the north blend more with the rest of the grass, it sticks out too much.

Offline MateusThiago

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 07:01:38 pm
Thanks! I don't know if you meant to make the grass look like the rest of the terrain or just to make the transition smoother. If it's the first case, that grass was intended to stick out, because that's a different type of terrain, so if a fight occurs there, the fight background and monsters will be different. That's the beggining of a grass field up above.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 07:24:04 pm
Thats RPG maker Graphics... who are you trying to fool?

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 07:29:39 pm

Read closer please. "Please note that nothing here is done by me except the char and the clouds".

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 07:31:33 pm

Read closer please. "Please note that nothing here is done by me except the char and the clouds".

Sorry, i kinda read the text, but after a few lines i jumped around a bit, and i must have missed that line.

Aritriste

Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 07:32:44 pm

ZoSo, some people only use RPGMaker as a game engine, but make everything custom, not simply to use the free crappy graphics that come with it. Though as it looks, it does seem like most or all of those graphics are from RPGMaker 95, but possibly this could be a custom engine, but jumping to conclusions really doesn't help anyone in any manner.

Though regardless, if you truly did make those cloud graphics, then kudos. Yet seeing as I've never seen any RPGMaker 95 tiles, etc. I can't say much, but alas as I said if you are using a different game engine then great job...

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 08:10:10 pm

ZoSo, some people only use RPGMaker as a game engine, but make everything custom, not simply to use the free crappy graphics that come with it. Though as it looks, it does seem like most or all of those graphics are from RPGMaker 95, but possibly this could be a custom engine, but jumping to conclusions really doesn't help anyone in any manner.

Though regardless, if you truly did make those cloud graphics, then kudos. Yet seeing as I've never seen any RPGMaker 95 tiles, etc. I can't say much, but alas as I said if you are using a different game engine then great job...

It really has nothing to do with using RPGMaker or not, he was just saying that they are, in fact, the default graphics that come with RPGMaker.

@MateusThiago: i would strongly encourage you to exclude from your posts any artwork that is not yours, even if you state it's not your work. it's just a bunch of flaming waiting to happen.

Anyway, to critique your work, i'd say the clouds are not contrasted enough. pick like 3 or 4 shades, since most of the surrounding graphics are low-color count, and then have another go at it. I'd also try and get into some hues, like blue or purple, even if it's subtle, the grey is just boring.

Offline MateusThiago

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 09:00:09 pm
@ZoSo and Aritriste: Yes, it is indeed RPGMaker, although the 2000 version. And as progFX already quoted my saying, I only did the char and clouds, and the tile set is a mix from default graphics and some taken from the net. And as I said at the beginning, I started making this game only for fun, and it was back in 2001 or so, and I didn't care wether the graphics were mine or not, crappy or not. It was just fun, and still is, only now I'm more interested in learning pixel art. Oh, and thanks a lot for the compliment, Aristriste.

@Stwelin: I only posted the screenshot of the game to show how the clouds were being used, nothing more. It would be a little hard to tell only by the cloud sprites. As for the clouds, I'm already using 4 shades, although it may not look like so, maybe I need to use the darker shades a bit more. And I'll try some different hues, I liked the ideia. Thanks for the feedback!

Offline MateusThiago

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 06:15:07 pm
Changed the hues to blue, I liked it, and it looks better ingame. Thanks!
Soon I'll post my charcter sprites and their animations too.