AuthorTopic: Moonlight  (Read 8863 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Moonlight

on: January 21, 2007, 03:51:20 pm
C64 ALFI, 2 colours per 8x1, 16 colours to use, I used 15, yadda yadda...

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Scotteh

Re: Moonlight

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 04:31:56 pm
I have always liked your work, and I like this one too. :)
I can't see anything wrong with it, mind you, i'm no good at giving C+C :D

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 04:35:21 pm
I love the way you used the colors to make a awsome moonlight effect.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 05:43:17 pm
Just an idea but maby you can let the light shine on the trees to.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 05:45:48 pm
Her face has a lot of personality, and I love the way the eyes came out.  The change between her face and her hair seems a bit drastic, I think it would benefit from a little AAing.  All in all, very good, she looks like she's going to start talking to me.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 06:13:09 pm
Very nice. It's cool to see what people can do out of the general C64 (style?) rules.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 07:55:01 pm
Really cool.....but I want to see something full colour from the great Ptoing again  :-*

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 08:49:36 pm
This is pretty awesome.  It's like the female version of that Helm portrait  :P.  I like how this piece actually gives off some mood due to the lighting.

Small crits though; the moon looks very jagged, but that's probably a result of the scale lines you have in the sky.  And also, under the lips, and to our left, there's some funky lighting going on that you should maybe look at.

Overall, this is nicely done.  Great job, keep it up.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 08:58:22 pm
Oh that is beauuutiful! I really like the background (all the pinetrees makes me feel right at home). For her facial proportions; I really like what you've done. Looks like a portrait of a real person. The eyes are beautiful, and I like how she has some birthmarks/beauty-spots here and there. Although the highlight under the lips looks a bit harsh, and the shine on the lips seem to be of another style. You've used warm yellow to highlight her red lips, although everything else seems to have very cold highlights (moonshine). I'd suggest replacing that colour with something a bit redder or just colder.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 09:06:58 pm
i love the lips and skyline the most, but I don't buy the deepest shadow lighting with the scanlines that you've done on her face - on an LCD monitor at least they read as quite a bit brighter than your mid-shadow tones on the rest of the face, which is bizarre.  Do you have a snapshot of this on a TV?  It may look drastically different there.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 09:23:45 pm
Sharm: Can not have more aa there, 2 colours per each 8x1 block, try it.

Rydin: Same with the moon, nothing to do with the scanlines. The highlight under the mouth to the left is a stylistic choice and I like it, nothing to do with realism.

Mirre: I see what you mean with the highlight on the lips, but it is quite subtle when viewed on a pal screen and the only other colours i could have used would have been light green or white, maybe cyan, but that prolly would have looked strange as well.

AdamAtomic: As stated below, the "scanlines" are not visible on a PAL screen, and that's what it is intended for. The stuff on the cheek is more like ambient lighting from whatever lightsource, I like it :)

On a PAL Monitor or PAL TV it would look a bit like this (screenshot taken in WinVic with PAL Emulation turned on)

On PAL screens the colour info always gets carried over to the next line, so you get vertical blending and because there are colourpairs on the C64 which have the same value you get new colours when you do the scanline thing, like the blue and brown and the "orange" and purple (yes orange, that is the official name for that lighter brown colour :P)

Also on a TV screen you get some more blending in the horizontal and due to that you can hardly even see the pixels, stuff looks much smoother.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 12:07:24 am
very nice peice, I think I prefer the PAL version, but they are both nice. Kudos :)
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 01:08:47 am
Marvelous! Good job!

One question: Have you done it in an AFLI editor directly on the C64(/an emulator) or some PC software? Which one it was?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 11:34:11 pm by Skurwy »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 01:11:15 am
C64 ALFI, 2 colours per 8x1, 16 colours to use, I used 15, yadda yadda...

I'm a little frightened to do this, seeing as how I've never edited a member's work, who's 10X more technical than I. Just want to let you know beforehand, that I probably broke a shister load of the general restrictions you were working under, however I felt these problems, imo, needed to be addressed.

I felt that your version was great technically, but some parts of the face felt sorta' strange, in terms of the general female. For one, she had a real dominant upper lip, almost swollen, in fact. It kinda looked like some of the people you see on t.v. who get collagen injections in thier lips. Just...unnatural. The moon seems to come from the left, so I just flipped the majority of the shine on the bottom lip the opposite side. No biggie. Oh, I thought when people smiled, or smirked, the skin of the lips stretched thinner(Is this wrong?)? Also, her eyes were sorta bugging out. With a serene scene such as this, I felt a slight, narrow set of eyes, and visible lashes would seem more inviting to the viewer, as well as seductive.(though I'm pretty sure you were going for the friendly look). I also tweaked the nose, and shortened the chin, as it was kinda' elongated, and dominant, much like a male's. I messed with the moon, but to honest, I really didn't have a problem with the original. Was just bored...
   Again, I apologize for killing the restrictions. I just thought some parts seemed strange...Still, better than I could ever pull off, seeing as how I've never tried it out before...

P.S. Fear The B.O.B., killer of restrictions, style, and breaker of perspectives! (heh, custom smiley...)
my back hurts...

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 01:17:46 am
Your edit makes it look like she has a milk mustache, B.O.B.  :huh:
I think i still like the original mouth-area best.

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 02:59:44 am
I like the eyes in B.O.B's edit. The bottom part of the nose seems a little too large.
I.....am......me............

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 04:48:50 am
Sharm: Can not have more aa there, 2 colours per each 8x1 block, try it.

I feel stupid now, I missed that in your first post.  I put a grid on it to see what you were talking about and I am extremely impressed.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 10:38:48 am
That custom smiley is great. I hope it gets added.
Anyway, I think she looks a bit too much like Mcjagger, so I have to agree with The B.O.B's edit.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 06:05:13 pm
Argh, matey, updated the edit, so now without the milk mustache!
Also tried to smooth the lips out, to look more convincing with the smirk.
(again, I probably broke the restrictions, I'm just editing to try and show some of the strange facial issues)

I wonder if Ptoing even cares about this thing-a-mabobber anymore? Oh well, was still fun editing...
my back hurts...

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 10:05:12 pm
Skurwy: I made it with Promotion and exported it to a C64 prg with some other tool and checked it quite a bit on my C64 to see how it would look.

BOB: I have to say I do not like your edit at all, nothing personal, but I really really dislike it, esp what you did with the eyes and mouth. I know that the jaw is a bit big and the highlight thing on the mouth is actually a valid point, but I wont change it anymore, this is filed under finished :) And yes you killed the restrictions completely, you should give some C64 mode a try at some time, I am sure you could learn from it :)

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 10:43:35 pm
;)

(joke aside, looks really cool, it still amazes me, you can get so much out of 15 colors  :y: )
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:57:19 pm by Kennethfejer »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 10:45:46 pm
 :lol:

It's like ptoing's 'Mona Lisa' if you will.
(some people have speculations that the Mona Lisa was a portrait of daVinci himself.)

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 10:53:03 pm

BAHAHAHA, I have a completely different facial structure tho :P

Offline fawel

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 11:35:45 pm
Don't take me seriously (I got nothing on you), but I think that the the lihgter pruple highlights on the far sideof her face, under her lip, make the chin look too prominent, somewhat unnaturally.  If it were darker purples I think that would help.  I'd also expect her quarter-smile to make her crows feet (around her eyes) more prominent, like in the B.O.B.'s edit.

But really pretty, good work.