AuthorTopic: New member  (Read 2891 times)

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

on: January 20, 2007, 07:08:09 pm
Hi everyone, I`m a big pixel art fan and although not a complete beginner would welcome some tips from you guys and gals as some of the work I have been looking through on this site is outstanding. I hope to learn lots of great new techniques from you all and have lots of fun doing so.

Anyway, here`s a little example of some of my recent work. I have included the linework in the hope that some of you could show me how you would have tackled the same subject.

I`m open to criticism so fire away :)

Jason.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Re: New member

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 07:14:39 pm
Snazzy name, snazzy art. Hello.

Edit: I rather like your style, the palettes are very nice ideed. Simple, yet a great shading technique.

Offline UncleSporky

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:45:23 pm
All of it is very nice.  A lot of iso art looks flat/cartoony, you add a lot of nice details to yours like the shine along the corners.

But one thing I noticed: on the tall tower, you have shines all along the edge where there should probably be shadows.  They're all right after an overhang.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:35:19 pm
Welcome, nice stuff!  The biggest thing I would start experimenting with is your palette.  Your ramps are very conservative, you're really just varying brightness.  Think about saturation and hue when you are deciding how to draw your shadows and highlights!  even gray surfaces have blues and greens and reds in them in real life.

EDIT - I changed my mind, there are a few things you should be focusing on - your shading is I have to guess based on a tutorial or something rather than a real understanding of light, shadow and volume, and your use of outlines needs a LOT of work, they are mucking up otherwise fine images!  Here is a quick edit to show some basic things you can do to help get around the simpler problems:

This isn't the be-all-end-all of course but I'd definitely start on these basic elements - palette and outlines are very important!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:49:34 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 11:01:04 am
All valid points. I agree with what has been said about the outlines and palette choices and will try to work on improving these aspects of my work in future pieces. Thanks for tips and nice comments, most appreciated :)

These were in fact my first attempts at isometric pixel art so I was pretty pleased with the outcome.

Jason.