AuthorTopic: Aritriste's Mini Pixel Practice  (Read 5244 times)

Aritriste

Aritriste's Mini Pixel Practice

on: January 21, 2007, 03:24:20 am
--->

==About The Monster==
Generally this monster is supposed to be a small monster, with a leaf on it's head, but after seeing how it turned out.
I decided to change it to demonic gremlin with a blue flame upon it's crown.
Expression About The Monster: ???
================

I'm just starting to make some things by scratch, but because I'm simply starting out, and I'm going to start out small and slowly grow in detail as well as size.
Anyway, if anyone is up to help me with techniques, styles, or even shed advice by example this would be appreciated.

================
==Other Monsters/Figures==

==About The Monster==
I'm just trying to do some shading techniques, and trying to focus on the major aspects, such as eyes, and then base everything off of the eyes of the creature/monster. Though generally this creation was supposed to turn out like the previous monster's original idea, but I came across several problems such as the leaf, looks rather awkward, and I'm not exactly sure on how to go about doing a mouth, or most of the facial features on this creation, yet this generally is the raw form as it currently stands...
Expression About The Monster: :mean:(What is that?)
==================
--->
==About The Image==
This image is generally a dirt mound with a flower on it, just trying to test my skills at scenario's, and landscaping
Expression About The Image:  :-\ (So-So, I'll post a revision on the bulbs soon.)
==================

==About The Image==
An image of a general non-complicated bracelet with a black blackground. Not much was done in this image except me trying out some circular sprites, and general shading.
Expression About The Image:  :hehe: (Just some normal bracelet nothing for me to be proud of, but it does show progress...)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:30:59 pm by Aritriste »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: Aritriste's Mini Pixel Practice

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 04:15:12 am
The shades are too close together, with something this small, about 3 shades per hue is enough (including highlights, which yours lacks) the bottom is kinda flat where the feet connect. The outline is too light as well.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 04:47:53 am

Heavy Edit.

Sorry, I kind of got carried away with this. The hair looks like a troll's hair.I extended the arms and gave it "legs". The lines you have were really weird, the fire/leaf has 2px thick lines in areas, not very pretty in this case. The colours I replaced your with are pretty bad but oh well it had contrast.

I think you should give it troll like hair but that's just me.

Aritriste

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 04:52:39 pm
I changed the monster again off of your edit to make it look more gremlin, and mischeivous. In addition I changed the dimensions in certain areas and gave it more room for detail, and to make it fairly round as instead of oval or rectangular.

Then in this second edit, I changed the pixels around the eyes to blend with the markings, and added a pixel below the mouth just to test what it would look like as a whole.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 07:26:43 pm
you really shouldn't work off his edit. :|

Also, the pink lines on the face don't work very well, just looks like noise at 1x.

Aritriste

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 07:41:31 pm
you really shouldn't work off his edit. :|

Also, the pink lines on the face don't work very well, just looks like noise at 1x.

Hmm???

They aren't pink lines. The edit involves teal lines with a purple figure.
Anyway, yes I know I shouldn't base anything off of his edit, but it's easy to change it off of his edit and see exactly what I can change to improve, etc. so that later on I can apply it to mine.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 02:44:37 am
You should probably use a light purple instead of that pink you've got going on. I think it's always a good idea to have a thumbnail at 100% or 200%. Can help prevent things from looking sloppy or bad.

Aritriste

Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 11:32:38 pm
You should probably use a light purple instead of that pink you've got going on. I think it's always a good idea to have a thumbnail at 100% or 200%. Can help prevent things from looking sloppy or bad.

Thanks, I'll take this into account next time.

Aritriste

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 03:09:10 am
*Alright, I made another, I thought this may give a better example. Now I also included a color platette. Yet, I still can't find out why I can't get the image I'm trying to. For this image I'm trying to make a small trent like monster. Yet no matter how I have approached it, it doesn't seem to come out clean cut as I want it them to.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 03:53:31 am
You're trying to cram too much detail into too small a thing. Try getting rid of the dark lines on the inside and instead implying texture with shading. Make sure you don't get too detailed with the shading, though. In small images it's best to have details represented by larger chunks of color rather than single pixels.