AuthorTopic: A Spiral  (Read 5530 times)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

A Spiral

on: January 18, 2007, 06:02:50 am
Well I've been busy lately working on a game of mine, not to mention life insisting on butting in all the time. The game could be said to be something which often seeks to push my abilities beyond what I normally do. I try hard things, in a sense.

I began what could be considered a somewhat tricky piece today; what it is is a rock thats based around the structure of a twisted square pyramid. So I've started out by building that basic form, and I hope to turn it into a rock from there, here's how its looking:

My main concern is; does the shading look correct? It's a bit of a weird shape and I'm not 100% sure...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:04:48 am by EyeCraft »

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Re: A Spiral

Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 07:42:21 pm
The shading looks good to me, in fact, it looks near 3D. But that's just the opinion of an amateur. I hope you get some more crits.
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:36:48 pm
Well, it looks cool to me, but not as much of a twisted pyramid as much as a twisted...piece of thick paper? I mean, don't pyramids have like, 4 sides? This one looks like it's just boasting two.
Well, that's the wierd thing I'm seeing.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 02:41:44 am
Aye, I think that impression is coming from the top, which I think is incorrect. snader did an edit over at pixel joint:

I get the feeling it's more on the mark than mine.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 04:48:11 am

Ah damn, made this edit before I saw the snader edit.

I think your's looks ok, but could do with some highlights (as my shitty edit shows).

This reminds me of a Frazetta piece...called Torment.

Good job, and keep up the great work.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 07:10:13 am
Cheers Rydin :).

I finally got around to working on this more; developing it into an actual rock. Here's how it looks:

My brain is a bit out of the zone at the moment, so I haven't looked over it properly, so there's probably some problems with the shading, but for now I'm quite happy with how its going. C&C is welcome

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 08:59:38 am
i only just thought of this....

took me a whole 2 minutes in 3Dmax. =P
hope its of use

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 03:41:33 pm
Cheers Rydin :).

I finally got around to working on this more; developing it into an actual rock. Here's how it looks:

My brain is a bit out of the zone at the moment, so I haven't looked over it properly, so there's probably some problems with the shading, but for now I'm quite happy with how its going. C&C is welcome

This looks really really good. you nailed the rock forms perfectly. Not very much crit, you've executed this one very well. maybe make the rock at the very top more of a pyramid-like point? something about it just seems a little off. very nice work.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 03:59:35 pm
I would probably go for adding even more texture, just player around a bit, hope you dont mind. And mixed around with the colours to.. Might help you, if you need help O_o, anyway really nice work.. Love it :D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 08:54:55 am
Haha, oh wow, that last update... you actually made it like you wanted it to be. What a successful experiment. I am not sure about zoso's stoven palette, I think purple shadows are overdone in our little pixel art world here.