AuthorTopic: Boss Sprite WIP  (Read 20988 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Re: Boss Sprite WIP

Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 12:16:26 pm
Super animation. I really prefer the second edit you done with the brain monster.
Keep it up.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 11:32:50 pm
Well, couldnt resist and made an edit.

I didnt do what I suggested to you precisely because I tweaked the lighting a lot more...there's a thing I do where I tend to lit up the things on the foreground, specially the limbs far more than anything else...I didnt mention it in my crit and that's mostly what this edit is about.

I'm...afraid it might be too intrusive, I know how sometimes edits can go overboard and end up being a "I can draw your characters even better than you ever would" showoff when the editor goes overboard, make the author feel like they dont own the piece anymore. I'd feel horrible if you thought that was the case.

Hopefully this serves to illustrate my point and give you some ideas about how to make volume. pm me if it confuses you at all......
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 11:43:12 pm by Conceit »

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 03:28:42 am
A lot of the poppyness of the dinobeast are lost in your edit, Camus, but I think he can learn a lot from the brain tank and the shoulder/arm area. Good edit. Hope this influences you the right way, Ben.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 05:21:07 am
don't forget colours, too, Godslayer. Seeing Conceit's edit and the original side-by-side, you can see that there's a lot of potential in this already excellent piece. Besides the great boost from a higher contrast and a larger hue ramp, conceit's edit is excellent because it actually looks like fur is furry and the metal metallic. His crit about the back plates makes more sense now that I see what he was imaging.

I hate posting without a crit, but follow what conceit is saying and this is going to look fantastic.

Should be fun to see your next edit.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 07:01:06 am
A lot of the poppyness of the dinobeast are lost in your edit, Camus, but I think he can learn a lot from the brain tank and the shoulder/arm area. Good edit. Hope this influences you the right way, Ben.
agreed, his face has a cartoony effect that kind of reminds me of Dragon ball which I lost...still, I think its worthwhile to show him an alternative :p

Crabs:I actually didnt add any colours, took a couple of wasted colors from here and there and used them for the brain vat thing.

EDIT: wow, I forgot to say something....thank you! hah, I would've never designed a sprite like that and working on it was very releasing, I am glad you are here.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 12:02:49 pm by Conceit »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 01:35:29 pm
Thanks everyone!

- Conceit your edit is really amazing - I'm learning a lot about lighting and shading just from this thread, hahaha. I'll reference yours when I get a chance to work on the sprite more, particularly the way you got the textures down. Thanks for the links too, those were really helpful. I'm glad you found working on the design releasing - I'm finding that designing these characters is an incredible stress reliever, haha.

- The main character's design is a little bit boring I guess... the game actually started out being called "Real American Gunslingers". The bad guys were going to be terrorists, and the entire game was going to be in Janglish - sort of a spoof/tribute to the games I grew up on. While it was kicking around in my head it morphed into what it is now, but the stereotyped space commando guy never really evolved I guess. I hoped that giving him a huge sword would help him stand out a little ;^)

- I pretty much never draw platform sprites that are directly from the side. I just find them incredibly boring to sprite, and very flat and 2-dimensinoal-looking when they're finished. I've seen some people who can make them work, I'm just not one of them.

Again thanks for your comments everyone. I'll post another version soon with what I've learned from you guys!

I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 01:58:39 pm
These are all really fantastic. The fourth sprite - the one with the bull skull - is really good (for some reason
it reminds me of Hayao Miyazaki's stuff) . For the ship's cabin, when it rotates one way,
the highlight moves, but when it rotates the other way, it doesn't. Maybe if you made it consistent it would
look better.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 08:55:48 pm
Here we go... yet another generation.

From left to right: My original design -> Conceit's reworking -> My latest reworking as inspired by Conceit's.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: January 14, 2007, 09:19:49 pm
agreed, his face has a cartoony effect that kind of reminds me of Dragon ball which I lost...still, I think its worthwhile to show him an alternative :p

Crabs:I actually didnt add any colours, took a couple of wasted colors from here and there and used them for the brain vat thing.

EDIT: wow, I forgot to say something....thank you! hah, I would've never designed a sprite like that and working on it was very releasing, I am glad you are here.

God, if you have a tutorial for making such darn nice metal, you should really show it, otherwise, I hope you'll make it. It's awesome. <3

Offline BadMrBox

• Bringer of Apocalypse
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Games

Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 09:32:11 pm
Nice stuff Ben2. I like your character design.