AuthorTopic: The B.O.B.'s Dump: B.O.B. finally submits something new...  (Read 65971 times)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile
   So here it is. This is what really got me into pixeling. Along time ago, when I was younger, I decided to try and create a dumb little street fighter mock up. Over the years, I began getting serious with developing each of the characters. They literally started as stick figures, and progressed their way up from pillow-shaded characters, noisy/messy shaded skins and tones, anatomically incorrect figures, to this.
   Of course these aren't perfect, but I still love them for what they are: a representation of what I've learned over the past from watching others pixel artists, and their technique. I do understand that most these characters are desaturated, to almost being one palette ramp of hue/color. I kinda' wanted that with each of the characters, to almost have his own color to represent certain characteristics for aesthetic reasons. I guess  it's just to define that this isn't an SNK style, nor Capcom style, but more over, MY style. Have I achieved this?
   As stated before, this primarily started out as fighting game mock up characters, but I realized that they are too detailed at the moment to animate. So instead, when my artistic skills reach their peak, my dream is to make a comic of these characters, since I already have a basic story line, that I've also worked on since I was younger.(you wouldn't believe the dumb ass ideas I had when I was younger...) Not to mention, that these guys have been in my computer for about 6 months, and haven't had any other eyes on them.

and ladies section for the perves :P

All characters (c) of The B.O.B. ;)
***actually, for any of you Final Fight fans, if you'll notice the 3rd to last character at the bottom of the page(the big, gorilla, looking fellow) is actually my remake of the second to last boss from the original Final Fight, named Abigail(the big Andore pallete swap character, that had white face paint...turned red, and charged at you when ever he was pissed)***

If you notice, there is one character up there that people helped me with in the past. It looked ok, but you guys helped me make it better. So I was wondering, with the artistic knowledge just a-flowin' around here, is there any flaws with the character designs, or something else that could use some fixin'/editing?(understand that these characters aren't supposed to be perfect by natural anatomy, but if it looks too strange, then I'll be sure to work on it)

More crap:

ANIMATED WIP:

The fan arts!!1!(one):

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:52:13 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump...sorta

Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 07:27:00 pm
Seems to be a lack of female characters.  :P

Anyways, I think these are all great.
The colors you've picked are just wonderful.
Each character has his own personality.

Except for the first two, I don't know why but they're in the same pose.
You probably did that for a reason.

But honestly, I love each and every one of these.
The amount of detail and characterism you've put into these is just amazing.

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 07:34:55 pm
Seems to be a lack of female characters.  :P
Yah, where are all the laaadies?
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:54:35 pm
Second image, top row, fourth from the left looks dangerously like Remy (SF3).

Second image, bottom row, far left is a bit similar to Earthquake from the Samurai Shodown/Sprits series. But not too similar.

First image, second row, far left reminds me a little of Hugo from SF3. But just barely. He's not blind or fat or clumsy.

Those are the only similarities I could find, though.

Overall, these are really impressive.. the only real criticism that I have is that the solid black outline seems odd. There aren't many (any?) good fighting games that use that method. It doesn't look ugly, by any means, but it makes them seem a little more foreign because it's outside of the vernacular.

I'm really curious about what the idle stances for some of these would be. Especially first image, second row, middle fighter. Is he a drunk?

They're all well-pixeled, but the stances for some are better than others. Second image, second row, middle is pretty bland. Second image, first row, middle just seems awkward. Second image, bottom row, far right is interesting.. but if this were an actual game, it'd feel really weird to play a fighter who always had his back to the screen.

Really nice work overall.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 07:59:34 pm
Except for the first two, I don't know why but they're in the same pose.
You probably did that for a reason.
I think they are using capoeira, a kind of almost dance like fighting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 08:16:07 pm
im9today: You sir, are correct. Also, they are kinda' the main characters of the story line. Hence the stereo typical study of the same martial arts/pose. They are by no means, however, palette swaps, or copies of each other.

@Akzidenz: My character does bear resemblance to Remy. In fact, I was playing SF3 when I was updating some of these, so you might spot some subconscious-inspired sf3 pieces. Wasn't trying to achieve an earthquake feel with the character you mentioned though. I was also using the black outline for each of the  characters so colors wouldn't clash against this websites back ground. In my file, they are actually without outlines. The fighter in the second row, the off-balance biker, is drunk actually. He uses a drunken Chinese boxing style, similar to those Jacky Chan movies(drunken master) The last character, the goth guy, is actually the antagonist, and his stance was meant to keep his back to the opponent. Kinda' like a nonchalant, egotistical personality where disrespect is shown to the opposite opponent, by not facing him.

And yes, I know there are no female characters listed here...I do have some in my files, but I'm not done fully creating their designs.

Thanks for the critiques folks!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 10:49:35 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 08:25:50 pm
last one in the second row and the two last ones are my fav.
sure there are many nitpicks to be made, but with this kinda stuff, its not really worth it. i know you said you werent going to make any animations, but how about some backgrounds? a mockup would be uber sweet.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 08:26:43 pm
@Akzidenz: My character does bear resemblance to Remy. In fact, I was playing SF3 when I was updating some of these, so you might spot some subconscious-inspired sf3 pieces.

Yeah, I kind of figured - top image, top row, far right reminds me a lot of Alex, even though the character and fighting style are obviously different. The ninja right below him seems very Ibuki-inspired, down to the palette, but that sort of poofy-pants ninja character has been around forever so it doesn't really feel like you're copying (and the stance is really interesting and different). Top image, top row, second from left is practically a Capoera version of Sean, but I think it's mostly due to the palette. The actual design of the character is worlds apart.

I don't know if the average person would notice that kind of stuff, though. I think it just sticks out to me because I've been playing 3rd Strike for years.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 08:36:08 pm
I see Sagat and Venom (from Guilty Gear, not the Marvel Venom :x) types too. ;) But I think overall these are very different designs than you see in Japanese fighting games, and that's refreshing.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:11:18 am by im9today »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 11:46:18 pm
i think the trousers on the last guy in the first row are the best trousers ive ever seen.

my favs are the first from the 4th and 5th rows.

i think your use of low color counts per sprite is actually amazing, especially on the two sagat look-a-likes!

Got anymore hidden works you like to share, after all this is your dump...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:48:11 pm by Feron »