AuthorTopic: QWAK:Developer published GBA game.  (Read 11005 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Re: Developer published GBA game.

Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 08:46:51 am
I believe the legal issue is that there has to be specific headers (?) in a rom to run on GBA, and Nintendo copyrights those headers and the data in them. So anyone using those without Nintendo's permission is breaking the law, and Nintendo won't give permission to games that aren't approved and aren't manufactured by them personally. That said, if a hobby developer were able to get a game to run without any code from Nintendo (which I believe is possible), I don't think it would be illegal to then distribute that game. Might piss Nintendo off, but I know the fact that devs have to use a little bit of Nintendo code is how they legally force everyone to go through them. Lots of publishers released games on carts in the 2600 and NES age without permission from Nintendo and Atari. Since then, it never occurs.

I'd have to ask my coder pals for clarification, but it's something close to this.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 03:07:47 pm
AFAIK getting something to run on a GBA without code from Nintendo is no problem, there is loads of demoscene stuff that runs on flashcarts no problem. Itīs the cartridges which you basically have to buy from Nintendo. They hold the right to production of the media. Technically flashcarts and so on are not really legal, or at least Nintendo would like them not to be.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline qwak

• View Profile
    • QWAK

Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 10:11:08 am
I just bought a copy. Nice price, and you gotta support the indie game devs. :)

Hey, thanks Adam!! ....... I'll PM you my MSN info.
www.QWAK.co.uk

SUPER PLAYABLE GBA PLATFORMER (only 300 available)