AuthorTopic: [WIP]Main character for a Tactic RPG, need crits! UPDATE*  (Read 7950 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: [WIP]Main character for an SRPG, need crits!

Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 09:14:13 am
I've actually been here a very long time, off and on.  I actually bumped because I had posted several updates, this post was about to goto page 2 and nobody would have seen the changes.  Maybe I'll just re-post next time.

Thanks for the crits everyone, a lot of things were pointed out that I didn't see which is why your opinions are so valued.

People will see it, but the only comment it if they want to. And I don't think PAnda would apreciate re posting your topic :P

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 05:57:31 pm
]
Here is an edit I did. I could see how you tried to portray scaled things on the shoulder pads but it wasn't really working.. The arnir was weurd, and he looked like he was holding something. So now he is..
I'm sure I've made it

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 07:41:02 pm
Half of his body is still pointed in the wrong direction. If you want people to look at this and crit it, at least pay heed to their advice.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 01:43:30 am
honestly, the post form december 17th shows a much better alignment than the version three days younger.  i would suggest first and formeost to point the feet forwards instead of breaking them sideways, and then if you could shift his left shoulder back 1 pixel, and the design on his tunic forward one pixel, you would show a much better angle in your work.

edit - yours

i tried to adjust the angle of things without adariazing it too much, basically, remember that everything exists in a specific space - you cant just draw a straight-on figure with uneven legs and call it isometric, the entire body - no, the entire work - has to obey the point of view established by those diamonds
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 01:45:08 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 06:54:32 am
Half of his body is still pointed in the wrong direction. If you want people to look at this and crit it, at least pay heed to their advice.

Actually I haven't posted anything since those crits, you must have misunderstood me.

now that christmas is over i have time for art again :) so... I've worked on this several hours changing things.  i tried to incorporate some of the changes and edits I saw on here, like the armor thing.  Thanks for the advice Adarias I know the figure stays in perspective I just have a hard time seeing when I start to stray from the beginning, it's a lot easier to see perspective with a cube! it's hard with curving objects.  I didn't notice the perspective got all skewed again til someone pointed it out, i just knew something didn't look right.  From now on I will always double-check perspective when I see something off.  I struggle with it.

i'll try to list changes I made.

thanks adrian for the armor edit, I've incorporated it into my new sprite, however the pads are supposed to be silver and his chestplate is supposed to be black, mine looks kind of purple but i think that's how you do black in this style. i also tried to fix perspective, feet aren't sideways anymore but I'm not certain there aren't problems still. The legs look misaligned with the body somehow.  the leg armor looks off as well, the legs have proved to be really tricky for me  :huh:

I tried changing the colors and adding detail. that's about it.

and  yes, a sword does belong in his hands! ;) I don't want to add it until the body is right.

Thanks to all who commented!

I wanted to add this question, should I increase the contrast maybe on the dark outline colors?

Well, i went ahead and tried some more minor changes, mainly color and the left arm.

I tweaked the perspective cause standing on the tile it still looked off, I also need input on color choices, I tried to highlight and shade with different colors. Left arm still looks funny, I will try to fix that.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 05:56:49 am by xanthier »
For this, a long time have I waited.