AuthorTopic: Pricing error? Pixel book "Character Design for Mobile Device" is only $5 at B&N  (Read 10461 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page
A co-worker of mine got this from a publisher for X-Mas and I instantly recognized Gary's (Army of Trolls) sprites on the cover. The book is really amazing - it's a broad overview of pixelling, focusing on a number of aspects of the artform, and showcases folks like Gary, Henk, Tsugumo and many other familiar names.

Here's the odd thing - the book's supposed to be $30 and it's only $5 at Barnes & Noble.   :huh: :o

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780240808086&itm=6

I have to assume this is some kind of pricing error, but since I had a $25 gift card I went ahead and ordered 5 copies for our office. Anyone looking for a great little miscellanea on pixelling should definitely pick this one up.

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint
it's now out of stock unfortunately. Good deal!

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps
Damn...I want that....I wonder if the local b&n will have it...... ???
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page
it's now out of stock unfortunately. Good deal!

You sure? I checked right now and it's still listed as "Usually ships within 24 hours".

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint
that's weird, I just checked again and it's back in stock. Might've been another one of those glitches

Offline Cow

• View Profile
Nice find. :) I'm gonna find a way to get a copy.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page
that's weird, I just checked again and it's back in stock. Might've been another one of those glitches

Maybe I cleaned them out with my 5 copies, and they had to process an order for more or something. I hope B&N is the only one getting screwed on this, and not the author.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 06:12:08 am by AdamTierney »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest
thanks adam, I went and ordered a copy :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW
wow, i remember wanting a book like this when i was getting coffee with friends at  barnes and noble.  Definitely gonna get it. 

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Amon Design
Was sat in waterstones bookstore today and flicked through this.  Pretty, not much I'm actually interested in reading as it all seemed for someone new to pixel art and mobile game art.  One thing though, the copy I was reading through had some slight printing errors on some pages where the text looked like it had been printed twice and offset a bit so looked a bit blurry to my tired old eyes.  Might have been just from a bad batch.
keep on moving, lil dude...

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile
I'd love a book on pixel art, instead of vaguely on the history and examples of pixel art in games, actually something that explains everything a pixel artist needs to know, shading techniques, help choosing palettes, the tricks of the trade.. The fundamentals, before we even start thinking about gaming and different genre's.. Im getting the impression its just maybe a reference book.. They should really explain it from the eyes of a pixel artist, what he/she thinks you need to know. Like the pixel bible in short.. Thats what I think..  :-\
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest
I'd love a book on pixel art, instead of vaguely on the history and examples of pixel art in games, actually something that explains everything a pixel artist needs to know, shading techniques, help choosing palettes, the tricks of the trade.. The fundamentals, before we even start thinking about gaming and different genre's.. Im getting the impression its just maybe a reference book.. They should really explain it from the eyes of a pixel artist, what he/she thinks you need to know. Like the pixel bible in short.. Thats what I think..  :-\
maybe we should make a book :P
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page
Yeah, I'd love to see an extensive guide to stuff like that, especially from guys like Ptoing, Alex and Helm.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
i would TOTALLY buy a pixelation book. reasonbly priced i think a large sum of the community would do it.

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile
Why don't we make a wikibook? Everyone would be able to participate. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile
Great idea! It could explain various techniques and shading ideas for different types of pixelling (eg: Tiles, Backgrounds, Scenes, Sprites.) as well as what NOT to do (Pillowshading, Black outlines everywhere, Oversaturation), with tips from various pixellers, all contributing their own examples. LET'S DO IT!!!     
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile
Yeah, I know about pixipedia but I think it disappeared when Pixelation came back. I got a 404 error when I clicked your link.
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline niceidiot

• View Profile
Why don't we make a wikibook? Everyone would be able to participate. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page

Somebody started an isometric specific pixel-art book there:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Isometric_pixel_art/Contents

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile
Not to be rude, but I think whoever contributed most of the stuff so far needs to refine their skills before moving on to teach others. They're missing several fundamentals of pixel art and iso. Good thing it's wiki.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile
I wouldn't ever think of being apart of such a thing because Im honestly rubbish compared to most of the pixeling world, what the hell could I have to offer..?

Im reading 'The animators survival kit' atm and I really think a pixeling book should be done by someone who has had years and years of experience.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 11:20:29 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..