AuthorTopic: [wip]an LJ icon for a friend [updated 1.22.07]  (Read 9907 times)

Offline leel

• Embrace simplicity
    • View Profile
    • cmw

Re: [wip]an LJ icon for a friend [updated]

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 01:54:11 am

Here's the latest update.  I couldn't work on it much over the last 2 days, but I did start to aa the hair.  Let me know if I'm on the right track, ok?

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Re: [wip]an LJ icon for a friend [updated 1.02.07]

Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 04:04:59 am
Okay, well here's my edits and such, to give you a better look at how it could look hopefully.

and uh here's an animation.

basically i applied more AA and smoothed out some areas. I also didn't really like the hair at the bottom so i thought i'd see how that turned out. so yeah, uh, I hope that helps. you should probably get rid of that grey spot on the bottom and add hair or something. I'd also suggest making the colors pop more with some shinyness, etc..the prettier the better right?  !yus!

Offline leel

• Embrace simplicity
    • View Profile
    • cmw

Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 11:58:16 pm
To be honest alk, I liked my version better - you said to make things pop more but in your edit you just blurred everything more.   I like the subtle highlight in the eye, but I don't think I should soften the lid like that.  Also, I'll put in a bit of the lips.  Thank you for putting in the time to show me, even though I don't agree with everything, I got some other ideas from it, as well.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 01:05:57 am
That's alright, I just thought it looked a little on the harsh side from what I could tell. you know, maybe add smoothness but while still keeping a..popness. anyways, looking forward to an update.

Offline leel

• Embrace simplicity
    • View Profile
    • cmw

Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 01:12:32 am
I'm a bit swamped right now, but I started working on the bunch of hair at the bottom - and it's gonna be much lighter and less.. buggy, I promise ;-)   I'll try to have an update tomorrow night

Offline leel

• Embrace simplicity
    • View Profile
    • cmw

Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 06:34:46 pm
I know it's been a really long time but... uhm.. *taps chin* good excuse good excuse.. midterms! yeah, I was .. studying >_>  yeaa...

I come bearing updates!

Worked on the little bunch of hair at the bottom, hopefully it's less buggy now.  hm I think the only things left are the top rightand bottom left corners (I'm not really sure what to do with the hood thing, to be honest.)  and then some palette tweaks.

I'd love some c/c now, since I don't plan on studying World Politics tonight (ew midterms!)

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: [wip]an LJ icon for a friend [updated 1.21.07]

Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 07:31:37 pm
as you're softening it, it's losing depth. the face looks a lot flatter than in the original sketch. If you squint and look at the photo, you can make out the areas that should be highlighted, you need to have more shadow towards the left side (her right) of the face.

The anti-aliasing on the face is ace. :)

Offline leel

• Embrace simplicity
    • View Profile
    • cmw

Re: [wip]an LJ icon for a friend [updated 1.21.07]

Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 02:17:24 am
you're right about the cheek - I've tried several times to make it darker but the dithering always ended up dirty.

this is the last that I could come up with, is it any better?
  >>
I also worked on the rest of the hair and the little part of the hood - which is a pillow shaded disaster.  I honestly had no idea how to go about shading that, but I don't want to get rid of it because then the little curled hairs will make even less sense >_< hehe.  So suggestions on that would be awesome.

So, as of now every part of the thing has been worked on at least a little bit and I'm getting close to being done.  Any CC at all is welcomed =)  Thanks

edit:  I made some other changes to the eye (the shape of the bottom lid was too round)  And also tried something different for the hood using more of the eye colors
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:28:20 am by leel »

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Re: [wip]an LJ icon for a friend [updated 1.22.07]

Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 08:14:41 am
Before you jump onto dithering, you should nail down the facial features first.
Right now your picture looks swollen overall, but since visual examples will work better to show what I mean, I did a fast edit (hope you don't mind).

The eyes still need some refining, but I don't have time for that.
Good luck with further progress.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: [wip]an LJ icon for a friend [updated 1.22.07]

Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 01:47:59 am
hmmm I remeber seeing this on tip.it....what was the user name for it? Im trying to figure out who you are  :P.. anyways, it looks pretty good, but pandas edit makes it alot more real looking..although it is quite rough...
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.