AuthorTopic: WIP Beach Scene  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Twizzler

• Twizzler!!!
    • View Profile
    • Tates House Productions

WIP Beach Scene

on: December 26, 2006, 06:01:02 pm

Hi.  I can't really think of anything to talk about so...
Tell me what you think :)

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: WIP Beach Scene

Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 07:08:52 pm
Hi Twizzler!
In general, it looks nice, but I can think of many things that seem wrong about this piece to me.

`The sun is darker than the surrounding sky.  In reality, the sun is the source of light for the entire planet, so nothing illuminated by the sun should be brighter than the sun.
`Nothing on the beach casts any shadows.  Perhaps you just haven't added them in yet.  When you do add them in, make sure they're facing us, away from the sun.
`The sun's reflection is shorter than the sun.  In real life the reflection of the sun on the ocean stretches far down because many individual waves between the viewer and the sun reflect the sun's rays.  You can see that in this reference photograph:

`That photograph is also good because it shows that the sea isn't so starkly blue at sunset as you've made it in your picture.  Around midday, it could be that bright blue color because it is reflecting the blue sky, however the sky isn't so blue at sunset, so it reflects much of the oranges and reds of the sunset.  The water itself is also very dark because not a lot of sun is shining into it.
`The towels on the beach are perfectly rectangular, as if they are being looked upon from directly above.  If you put a towel on the floor and step back and look at it, you'll find that it doesn't appear to be rectangular, but more trapezoidal, because it is being acted upon by perspective.  Notice in this reference photograph how the towel takes on a trapezoidal shape.

You may also want to check out some tutorials on drawing in one-point perspective.
http://www.olejarz.com/arted/perspective/

I hope this helps!

Offline Twizzler

• Twizzler!!!
    • View Profile
    • Tates House Productions

Re: WIP Beach Scene

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 12:15:08 am
Wow, thanks thats alot of help.
I can't believeI didn't realize that the water was darker lol.  I was at the beach when I was pixeling it.  Owell.  I'm gonna start working on it right now.  I didn't shade it because I normally have to remake things and if I shaded them I would have to reshade them when I was finished... so I just wait till the end... lol?
Thx again :)