AuthorTopic: Secret Santa C+C  (Read 5816 times)

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Secret Santa C+C

on: December 25, 2006, 06:32:01 pm
Finally I can submit this to some C+C. Bash away please! :p

Also here's a progress animation:

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Re: Secret Santa C+C

Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 07:20:43 pm
I just wat to tell you that this is awesome. I really can't see anything wrong with it.
Thanks for it ;)

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 07:43:01 pm
That is great!

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 05:57:34 am
That looks damn nice. Is that a hybrid of pickachew and curby or something?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 06:17:24 am
Oh god, this is awesome.  I especially love the far background....so yummy.
My main concerns are, first of all, the the splash of water from where the fish is jumping out; looks out of place, an not much like a water splash...donno how you'd fix it, but it definitely stands out.  Secondly, the ladder, (though it may be due to some sort of tile restriction or something) just goes into the floor... from what I can remember of the platformers I've played, the ladder goes up to, or over the level of the floor (usually without the floor behind it, but sometimes...).
And then, just out of curiosity, what is the fuzzy orange stuff...tree mold?  I'm not saying it looks bad or anything, but what's it supposed to be?

Either way, this is a mock-up.  Great work.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 07:08:24 am
I like the blocks and the HUD and the ladder and the magikarp thing, but I don't like Kirby as much. I think it could benefit from reusing similar colors instead of making all new ones. I also think his shading style is way too different than the rest of the image, with way too many colors, ergo ruining the cartoony look to the rest of the image. I'd suggest something more, like...

That. More like the ol' Kirby games, fits with the rest of the image a little more... At least I think so.

I'm guessing the background is a vector, because I don't see how you can get 154 colors otherwise. :P

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 10:37:25 am
Love the pure hybidity of it. Simply love it. Oh, I made a edit with Charmander instead of pikachu sucked up, if anyone wants to see it.
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline cave

• View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 03:31:21 pm
Thanks for all the great comments guys!

@ sharprm:  Yes, it's supposed to be a Kirby game but with Pokemon enemies, and in this mockup Kirby swallowed up a Pikachu and got it's powers.

@ Rydin: I'm very glad you like the background, as it's my least favorite part :3 The orange thing... Mmmm originally it was supposed to be grass on land, then dry grass on rock, then dry grass on lumber... But that doesn't make much sense so I guess you can say it's buttery popcorn! :)

@ Mccow28: Uhhhh... I guess the yellow highlight on the shoes is OK, but I don't like the yellow highlights on Kirby at all :/ Yes, the background is made of vectors.

@ Delphinus: Please show it! :)

So here's a new version, I hope it's an improvement...

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 05:55:15 pm
Uhhhh... I guess the yellow highlight on the shoes is OK, but I don't like the yellow highlights on Kirby at all :/
Okay. But I did change more than that, and I think they're all fairly valid crits. :-\

Offline cave

• View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 08:43:19 pm
@ mccow28: of course, every crit counts :)

Anyways here's an update! changed the splash yet a little more, and redid the background!

777 colors, courtesy of vector art. Do I feel lucky today? :P

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 01:23:14 am

777 colors, courtesy of vector art. Do I feel lucky today? :P

you know i bet you could pixel that background in less than 12 colors, even if you trace it - it will look a lot better.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 10:37:18 am
Yeah, there's also something wrong about AA between two shades for non-hard edges from a pixel art point of view, because you could have used the extra AA-colors for yet a smoother transition. Anyway, neato. Before reading your post about it being Kirby and Pokémon only I had totally thought it was a reference to all sorts of nintendo classics. I took the Magikarp as a Zora from LTTP at first (though of course it quite clearly isn't, I'm just getting stuff mixed up), and the hills with eyes for a Super Mario reference.