AuthorTopic: [WIP]My best...I guess.. [help choosing colors :@]  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Potatoes

• Lawl, pl0cks
    • View Profile

[WIP]My best...I guess.. [help choosing colors :@]

on: December 23, 2006, 01:58:17 am

Terley helped on the head with the shape, features, and colors.  The shading is my own, however.
The blue-tinted areas are supposedly metal.  Metal that I've never been able to shade before.

C/c away.

After help from everyone, at least on the face.

[EDIT]:  Okay, I have no clue how to choose colors and shade it.  It's actually quite amazing how people know how to shade with purples and all this stuff.  I would like someone to pretty much teach me this, because at the moment, I'm shading by just darkening that color and I know it's not the best way.  If this is asking too much, would someone mind just giving me some colors to use on the metal?  I'd rather learn, but that is asking a bit much..
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 07:39:43 am by Potatoes »
Feel free to teach me how to choose colors and shades.  I'm willing to learn.  PM pl0cks.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]My best...I guess..

Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 02:14:21 am
he he nice, I saw this on TIF, and i like the shading on the face. As for the metal, its not to hard, jsut use the advice given on TIF, and probably some adivce that will be given here..good luck ;D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 02:17:24 am
what is TIF?

i think researching into how the light bounces of metal will help you lots.

its a good start - nice palette.  i think the anatomy is a bit off - i think the pecs are too small, the armour would make even bigger than normal.  bulk him up a bit - how is he supposed to fight without muscles!

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 02:30:41 am
Tip It Forums, a runescape based forum, with a gallery, I, don't really play RS anymore, but I still use the gallery. Most of the people in the gallery dont play runescape for that matter....
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline legofreak

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 05:48:27 am

he needs to look more determined... even more so than my edit

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 06:43:27 am
well this was my edit, some things you didn't pick up were his eyes for one, unlike you're original you can't keep his pupils where they are otherwise it looks like he's looking up, make his pupils larger. Make the most of the black.

I tried to make the most of the shades to hint things like the wrinkle in between the eyes (smaller details), used the lightest shade to bring raise above the eyebrows. as well as usual shading darkening and lightening can help to raise or lower parts of the screen. take the nose for example, I shaded just above the bulge to suggest change in shape.

Also I think you should add more dark either side of the nose near his eyes as it adds to the male definition.

again goodluck with this dude.

I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Potatoes

• Lawl, pl0cks
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 07:46:11 pm
Okay, I knew something was wrong with the eyes, but I seriously could not see how they still seem to be looking up, lol I know that sounds funny.  But, thanks to ter and legofreak, I think I've gotten the eyes..well, not great, but much better, in my opinion.  I edited the nose and area surrounding the eyes.  I'm probably not going to work on the rest of the body until this guy's face is finished.  I'm OCD like that.

I think it looks much better from my original.  Except for the fact that he looks tired..
He's tired from killing all those innocent people >: ) muah haa. o.O
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 07:54:08 pm by Potatoes »
Feel free to teach me how to choose colors and shades.  I'm willing to learn.  PM pl0cks.

Offline Potatoes

• Lawl, pl0cks
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]My best...I guess.. [help choosing colors :@]

Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 07:42:46 am

Did a little bit of work on the eyebrows and touched up some areas, no major improvement.  I've updated this asking people for help getting the right colors for metal, but I'd much rather have someone teach me how to choose good colors, because I love to shade, but really am quite mediocre at it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 07:46:24 am by Potatoes »

Offline DevilDRake

• First Pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 04:33:00 am
i think the shading on the face is very good tho he looks sad and his throat like dips down.

for the armor i cant help u on that, ive never done metal/armor.. so wish ya luck

also have others had said to me, dont dither to much on the armor as its not hard to make it shiny.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 12:00:40 pm by DevilDRake »

Offline Potatoes

• Lawl, pl0cks
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 09:37:07 am

Alright, a slow update.  I tried to AA, but I've never done it before, and now he looks faded... :@, I'm not sure this is how AA is supposed to look.  Help, anyone?