AuthorTopic: New C64 picture, whee  (Read 11504 times)

Offline Sdw

• View Profile
    • SDW Developments

Re: New C64 picture, whee

Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 10:37:49 am
Well, as an oldtime C64 coder my main crit would be that you really are not pushing the AFLI mode much. That is, the fact that you can have 2 new colors per 8x1 block is not utilized very much, atleast from a quick glance.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 11:16:06 am
Checkworth: You win!

Rydin: I kinda see what you mean, but I wont change it now, it's on CSDB already and staying to be unaltered.

hawken: As far as visual understanding and communication goes the C64 artists of old can be ignored mostly, as they had none, which is due to the fact that most of them were young and not trained artists. Negative space can be nice and I in no way feel that cluttering it up with stuff you said would help it.

Sdw: I am a strong enemy of doing stuff JUST because you can. I could have used the 2 colours per 8x1 more, but it was my first try at AFLI and I focused more on the more than 2 colours per 8x8 aspect. The "JUST because you can" lead to horrible stuff like rainbow-fairy-dust FLI pictures like I like to call them, every colour needs to be there, at best in every character, JUST because you can, tons of different fonts, all blinking in different colours and stuff, JUST because you can (and it looks shit). I know why people did it (and some still do), because it was novel and new at the time. But I grew up outside the world of the C64 demoscene when it comes to art, so I do not feel the need to do the same things they did. You will for sure see more AFLI stuff from me that is cleverer in the future, this one is but a mere test.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Sdw

• View Profile
    • SDW Developments

Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 11:38:44 am
ptoing: One of the reasons for the "Rainbow-fairy-dust FLI" of the old days was to make sure the viewer was aware that infact was FLI he was looking at. Back when C64 demos was mainly about hardcore coding, it was very important to establish this.
Say for example a routine that has sprites in the sideborder with an FLI picture. For the viewer to accuratly be able to judge the technical quality of the part, it is important that he can see without a doubt that it IS a FLI he is seeing, not oridnary multicolor, since the routine then would have been much simpler to code.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 11:48:07 am
Sdw, I realise this, but it is possible to make a FLI picture that looks like a FLI picture without going all rainbow on it. To me that just looks ugly aesthetically

Offline Sdw

• View Profile
    • SDW Developments

Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 12:09:51 pm
Sdw, I realise this, but it is possible to make a FLI picture that looks like a FLI picture without going all rainbow on it. To me that just looks ugly aesthetically

It sure is, it never ceases to amaze me what the graphics artists can squeeze out of a 16-color computer from 1982! :)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 06:39:13 pm
Aaahh, that is some fancy signature ptoing. Kudos. Defintely doesn't bug me now.  :P

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #26 on: December 21, 2006, 06:55:32 pm
 Astounding! This one has some better colors chosen, great job.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #27 on: December 22, 2006, 07:39:52 am

hawken: As far as visual understanding and communication goes the C64 artists of old can be ignored mostly, as they had none, which is due to the fact that most of them were young and not trained artists. Negative space can be nice and I in no way feel that cluttering it up with stuff you said would help it.

just needs a bit of jazz! razamataz! As stated here by other posters, it's not really in the spirit of AFLI. I guess half naked women were the only thing that would make one go "WOW WTF HOW!!" at the time. As grotesque as that might seem, it really did show off at artists "skill" ;)

The thing is, a lot of those demo scene guys are trained artists, they were just going mental with computers because they could!! Kinda like HTML and webdesigners 10 years ago
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:43:16 am by hawken »
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 12:36:49 pm
The great majority of demosceners back then were in their teens. No trained artists at all, I spoke with quite a few of them at the last big C64 demoparty I went to :P

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 01:54:33 pm
so that's another good example of how zeal and patience can make you a good artist.

Well, for me as for someone who was born in the second half of the 80s, C64 scene is a kind of black magic. I like the art itself, but I can only try to get the right feeling of it. Anyway, it's nice to see someone interested in it and still doing something interesting, aesthetically appealing.

The guy reminds me, like said before, of (Manny from) Grim Fandango. Great design, palette and a proper example of an AFLI piece!

PS: Thanks for the tip on those Crest prods! It was a good time spent on digging through their resources.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:12:52 pm by Skurwy »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy