Poll

Can your parents draw and how is your eyesight?

Bad eyesight and parents who can draw
Bad eyesight and parents who can't draw
Good eyesight and parents who can draw
Good eyesight and parents who can't draw

AuthorTopic: Can your parents draw and how is your eyesight?  (Read 22032 times)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Re: Can your parents draw and how is your eyesight?

Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 08:09:37 am
18/20

My mom was a photographer.
My dad's art is more appropriate for pictionary then on a canvas.  :P

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 08:22:16 am
bad/20

My dad can draw, my mom can't (that I know of, at least).
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 09:26:33 am
Alright, I did some analysis with the data when there was 49 votes. Thankyou everyone for voting. Lets see if we can make some interesting conclusions.

First of all we test whether there is a relationship between (you or your spouse) having artistic ability and your children having bad eyesight. This seems like a silly thing to test but thats unfortunately the best thing the poll can test. So if you've had to do statistics you might know
what I'm talking about in the following paragraph (or be able to point out errors) but if not skip it!

So i made a two by two matrix and let A be that someone's parents could draw and B be that their eyesight is good. The probablilty of
A was estimated as 27/49 and for B 28/49. Then a table was constucted for the expected values. Then U^2 was calculated (corrected
for continuity ) to be 0.148. Then P=chiinv(0.148)=0.700>0.05, so we accept Ho. Ho was the hypothesis that A and B were independent.

So being good at drawing doesn't affect the chance that you're children will have bad eyesight.

Something that I really wanted to test though was whether having bad eyesight increased your chance of being 'good' at drawing.
What we really need is to grab 1000 people at random, run two tests, first to determine whether they can draw 'good', and second
if their eyesight is 'bad', and then do the above analysis. We can't do that so i found on a website somewhere that 1 in 14 poeple have
bad eyesight. Using that figure we can do a test.

We let X be the number of people with bad eysight and test the hypothesis that the sample comes from a population which a probability
1/14 of having someone with bad eysight. So we found x=21, X=Bi(49,1/14), P=Pr(X>/21)=4.6*10^-12<0.05. So we reject Ho.

Awesome. We would've expected 3.5 people in our sample of 49 to have bad eyesight. But it was a whopping 21 people. The above
analysis leads us to reject the idea that this sample of people is just like the normal world population. So, next time you bump into a
signpost, can't read a book properly, have a headache becuase your evil optometrist gave you an incorrect perscription, just think
"if i had good eyesight, i probably couldn't draw".

I think it makes sense because if you can't see properly, your brain has to guess at what its looking at, and this extra 'work' you do somehow has spillover effects on your ability to draw things. What do you guys think? Has anyone read of some real studies looking
into this?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 08:28:06 pm by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 09:34:15 am
I don't wear glasses or anything, but I'm apparently a little colour blind
and my dad used to be an architect and can still draw pretty good, my mother however just doodles like any other person every so often
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: December 22, 2006, 09:39:43 am
Short sighted but not enough for me to be bothered to wear glasses.
I have one math/science parent and the other is english/history, neather can draw (though my grandmother painted). i still turned out art though.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:46:31 am by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: December 22, 2006, 10:01:55 am
well i guess" bad" eyesight makes everything less sharp, making you able to focus on the overall shapes of things rather than details which is important in drawing.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #36 on: December 22, 2006, 02:49:07 pm
I dunno, till i was about 13 my eyesight was perfect. Perhaps it got worse from being on the computer or drawing with my face to the paper in dark rooms all the time.. Interesting stuff though.

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: December 22, 2006, 07:12:43 pm
Eyes used to be freakishly good, I miss that. I now wear glasses all the time, they're supposed to be just for close work, but if I don't wear them I get headaches and every thing's slightly blurry, have done since I was about 16-17.

Mum can draw above average I suppose, took GCSE art, Dad can't even draw stick figures. As for the rest of the family, as far as I know, only 1 of my uncles is artistic, everyone else can barely draw a smiley face.
WARNING - This post may contain incredibly bad spelling and/or grammar due to the dyslexic nature of the poster. Please ignore this until the problem can be rectified.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #38 on: December 22, 2006, 08:09:54 pm
Never had problems with my eyes, at least I don't need glasses. My parents both can draw and paint, my dad's got a couple of pics on the  web as well :)
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #39 on: December 23, 2006, 03:01:38 pm
I wish I didn't have to group both my parents together.  My dad can draw, but my mom can't.  I do have bad eyesight, though.