AuthorTopic: Testudine Shinobi *Update, 12/19/06*  (Read 6933 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Re: Testudine Shinobi

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 05:30:36 pm
Update, first post. Thanks for all the crits and comments, guys.

Mccow: Yeah, the toes... like I said, anatomy is a consistent problem in my art and I think it's the lower body that causes the most problems. I find feet (positioning them, etc.) Particularly tricky. I tried to fix them, but... I don;t think I accomplished much :P

Shadow Wolf: haha yeah, the outer AA thing is a personal choice I guess. I did a few non-out-AA'd pieces when helm chastised me for this (though probably not enough of them). Anyway, seems I'm back to it... :D As for the legs, that was just a screw up on my part. I was trying to imply the whole "shelled" thing, but messed it up. Couldn't figure out what was wrong, but Ryona pointed it out.

Ryona: The plastron was the problem (and I had totally forgotten what it was called, so double thanks). I extended it and widened it, so hopefully now it kind of attaches the legs to the body and provides the genital coverage that is oh so necessary in our modern world. Cowabunga, and so forth. ;D

Akzidenz: I see what you mean, and I don't think I fixed it. I think the legs, though, look a bit less stiff now... maybe. Not sure why, as I didn't change their shape any, but still... Anyway, consider it looked into!

Ryu: Totally agreed but unfortunately easier said than done. :P All the stuff, the outer aa the, the generic ramps the... whatever the hell else I always do, are all becoming crutch-like, and that's no good. That said, it's all becoming crutch like, and that's.. well... hard to break from. I dunno, maybe I should get more involved in the, like, palette challenges or something? 'Cause I think unless the restrictions are imposed on me, I'll ignore 'em. ;D

AdamAtomic:o... :'(! Belt added! But... is it a ninja belt? Who can say? heh, I based it on the old cartoon/action figure belts, and it was all I could do to not put the giant "L" on the buckle. Speaking of which, should I go with the colored bandanna? Right now, it's red, like the comics, but maybe it should be blue like in the... everything else? Open to opinions here. Also, legs/toes... hardly perfect, but better?

AndyTran: Much obliged, good sir.

Derek: Thanks for the edit and the reference! The stuff that's changed in the edit is mainly based on your leg crits and ryona's plastron thing, so.. yes. Thanks for it ;D. I should stop procrastinating (eventually, in time, maybe... tomorrow) and get back to the basics...

Thanks again, guys, for all the crits and stuff. This could still use work, so I still need your help. More please! :P

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Testudine Shinobi *Update, 12/19/06*

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 08:16:01 pm
do pieces that limit you strictly, maybe some gbc sprite and tile work( thats a biased reccomendation because i LOVE doing that shit :P) just do something you dont normally do. not subject wise but, proccess wise i guess.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 08:18:10 pm
do pieces that limit you strictly, maybe some gbc sprite and tile work( thats a biased reccomendation because i LOVE doing that shit :P) just do something you dont normally do. not subject wise but, proccess wise i guess.

C64 Multicolour Bitmap ;)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 08:24:59 pm
very well anti-aliased ;) Im not in love with the pose, but its looking great  :y:
God forgive him for his sins I know its was his last minute, You spread his wings so he can only fly.. He will allways be a legend in our hearts and legends never die..

R.I.P Tose Proeski ~Senad

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 09:40:47 pm
to be honest a bit of a let down compared to your other works.

> pretty much symmetrical (apart from the bandana)
> not enough contrast
> boring pose
> a bit pillowy in places
> harsh outlining on the swords
> no real dynamics/interesting visual points

i would love to see him in more of a heroic/fighting pose, rather than "check out my non-existant genitals" pose.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 10:06:40 pm
I personally think it looks great. Especially with the added belt.

I don't mind that it doesn't look "dynamic". And a symetrical look is ok sometimes. It especially works well for Leonardo because i've seen plenty of official art of him that puts him in symetrical poses. He's the lead turtle and usually the one placed in the center of a group shot among the four, so a symetrical look does work for him.

And there's not much that can be done about the swords because the blades are single pixel lines.

Fantastic work, Tremulant.  :)
Makes me want to do another TMNT pixel art thingy.

Oh, btw, I LOVE the title! As soon as I first read it, I knew it was TMNT related. Kudos for being creative!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 10:09:57 pm by Ryona »