AuthorTopic: [WIP] City Tileset  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Lene

• View Profile

[WIP] City Tileset

on: December 18, 2006, 04:32:20 pm
UPDATES

So, not using filters just pixelling, what I have now:

OLD STUFF

Hopefully I can get some help on improving this...

Here's a test scene using (most of) the tileset. Horrible lighting I know.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4430/morascreenshottown02zg6.png

I'm new to pixel art and I've never been trained formally in art so I'm sure there are a boatload of errors that need fixing. I cheated a lot with the roof (among other things), used the noise filter in Photoshop, but I think it looks ridiculous. However, I'm not sure how to go about shading a roof without it looking flat and ugly. Textures are beyond me.

Also the bridge w/ the herringbone (I think that is the name of it) tiles does not tile horizontally, only vertically. I'm not exactly how I managed to do that, but it's extremely problematic. It doesn't help that I don't really know the base of the actual pattern so I can't figure out where I went wrong.

Also, I didn't sprite the ground tile (brown stuff). Someone I'm working with tacked it on there.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 04:23:54 pm by Lene »

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] City Tileset

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 05:17:44 pm
sorry but this isnt pixel work.  its obviously photoshop (or something similar) with most textures.  only pixel work is allowed.

Offline Lene

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 05:50:39 pm
Um, I did mention that I used the noise filter, and I also mentioned that I wanted to move away from using the noise filter in photoshop but I don't know how to do it and have it look somewhat decent. Like I said:

However, I'm not sure how to go about shading a roof without it looking flat and ugly. Textures are beyond me.

Replace roof with other things.

Obviously, I'm asking for help with all of this. Once again, I'm new and the only pixel technique that I'm pretty much aware of is dithering and that's about it. Also, I can point out a majority of the objects on my tileset that were almost completely to completely pixeled (the lightpost, the bench, the grey road, the bricks on the building, the cobblestone).

Also, even with the stuff that I did use a filter on, I drew the outline, and put down basic colors and shading. I read the rules and I don't see anything wrong with this because I think I can benefit from "pixel-level critique" despite a filter being used.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:58:23 pm by Lene »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 05:55:13 pm
sorry but this isnt pixel work.  its obviously photoshop (or something similar) with most textures.  only pixel work is allowed.

Mostly pixel work with 1 generic photoshop noise filter does not necessarily disqualify it, especially when it is an artists first piece of pixel art.  Try leaving a useful comment.

Lene - I think these have a lot of potential.  Remember though that a big part of pixel art is palette reduction - you only ever want to use as many colors as is necessary to create the perfect image.  Using things like the noise filter in photoshop ramps up your color count to near-astronomical numbers in exchange for very little added artistic value.  In general, like you did with a lot of the details, you want to just use the pencil tool.  Your brick and stone tiles and lamp post could all be great if you get rid of the noisy overlay, and tweak your palette some so that every color is doing its job!

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 06:30:11 pm
They look pretty decent, but like Adam said, use not photoshop.
I used GraphicsGale to count the amount of separate colors used, it return 2086, I laughed my ass off XD
It's decent, but try going on Google on searching for pixel art tutorials, you have a lot of potential!

Offline Lene

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 06:50:40 pm
I think I'm just going to stop using photoshop in general. I already use Graphics Gale for making sprites but I've never tried using it for making tiles and things like that. BTW, is it okay if I post some of the sprites I'm working on in this thread, or would it be better to make another thread for them.

Offline Lene

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] City Tileset (now unfiltered)

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 08:34:20 pm

Okay, I started with the cobblestone road again. No noise filter and the color count came to a total of 4 (not including white). Should I add highlights or just leave it like this?

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 10:40:30 pm
You've retrogressed here, with just a circle of lighter color near the outline whereas you had a nicely-shaded (albeit NPA) tile before. Try emulating the highlights etc present in the NPA work in your pixel art, such as placement of highlights and overall form.

Offline Lene

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] City Tileset (Updated!)

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 04:22:30 pm

With highlights.

And here's the tileset so far:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 04:30:34 pm by Lene »

Offline Lene

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] City (Update: Brick Wall)

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 05:11:27 pm
(Random Question: Double posting allowed?)
okay, working on the brick wall.